Chapter three

THREE

    Two days later I was leaning back against the wall to the parlour on my break, smoking a cigarette on my own. The bus stopped at the bottom of the road and there was a familiar loud, jingly laugh as someone got off and my ears sort of pricked up. Carrying her brightly coloured bags she saw me and her eyes nearly popped out in excitement. “Agh!” She screamed, echoing off of the houses and shops then she pegged it towards me, stumbling under the weight of her bags. She dumped them simultaneously wrapping her arms around me so tightly that I might’ve popped but was extraordinairly glad because I’d been waiting for that hug. “Oh my God I missed you, Rubes!”

    “I missed you too!” I mumbled into her bony shoulder with more gravity than she'd ever hear.

    “It was so much fun, I’m not even going to take no for an answer you’re so coming with me next time I go away.”

    “Good!” I spluttered, eyes shining tearfully as she pulled away. If anyone could smell like rainbows and sunshine it was my best friend, she was so strong and beautiful and I loved her.

    Her forehead creased in concern, “good? That’s the first you’ve ever agreed without protest. What’s happened? What’s wrong Rubes?” She grabbed my arms fiercely .

    “Nothing, nothing." I dismissed with a sniff. "So, meet me after work and tell me all about your fantastic life changing holiday?” She nodded with a grin but her eyes were marred with worry. I hurried back inside, to my luck my number one fan was in the room. He huffed all self righteously before scurrying into his father’s office. It took a little while of sitting quietly before my hands stopped shaking and i calmed myself down. I could tell myself that I wouldn't let him get to me until the cows came home but it wouldn't change the fact that Toby had truly frightened me. He'd betrayed my trust.

    After work it was drizzling slightly but was refreshing. Angie stood under her zinging blue umbrella and dragged me under with her, handing me a readily rolled and lit fag. I thanked her taking a hearty pull. “So,” she began as we walked along. “My house or yours?”

    She wasn’t going to let it drop and it wasn’t like I owed Toby any privacy from his disgusting outburst. “Yours.” I nodded as we crossed the road, walked down the lane and down to Angie’s cul-de-sac. She lived with both her parents and her younger brother, they were a fairly strict family, her dad was loud and liked to yell and her mum was antsy and impatient. Not that Angie cared, she’d just smile as they hollered at her, apologise and then skip right off into lollipop land. I’d cower in the corner.

    She banged through the front door, “got her mum,” she called out closing it behind me. We took our shoes off and she chucked her brolly aside.

    Angie’s mother came out of the lounge smiling at me, I suppose she wished that she could swap daughters and have me as her average, modest one instead of the wild, untamed beauty that she owned instead. “Hello Ruby love, how’s it going?”

    “Not too good,” Angie answered on my behalf, “that’s why she’s here. We’re gunna go up to my room and discuss things through like the sensible young women we are.” Her mum’s eyes twitched but she settled on smiling at me. “Bye.” Angie grabbed my hand yanking me up her stairs.

    Angie’s room was bright and colourful as well. She burned incense although that really annoyed her dad. She smoked out of her window and bought loads of scarves to drape over everything she had to make it look pretty. Her chest of drawers were something else completely, I meant inside of them, her clothes were spectacular and her record collection even more so. Flopping onto her floral bed she beckoned for me to do so too. I loved Angie’s room, even how she left her floor covered in dirty clothes or her trunks half unpacked with their contents strewn about. She was never really settled. “Stop looking around idiot,” she nudged my shoulder. “It’s time you tell me what happened while I was away.”