Chapter eleven

ELEVEN

    I wrote my letter of resignation that very same night. I felt a bit strange doing it having never really thought much about leaving the parlour. I had to scribble through the draft about ten times before I was happy and wrote out the final version. I hoped that Mr Clarkson would be ok although I didn’t give a flying hoot what Toby thought about anything. Bastard. That was what he was.

    I dressed carefully the next morning and my hands were slightly sweaty when I clanged through the door. Mr Clarkson was humming to himself loudly in his office so I headed straight to my desk, procrastinating. I waited one minute, two minutes then I couldn’t wait any longer so fixing my posture I rapped my knuckles on his door. Toby answered. Of course he would. Cold, dark eyes settled down on mine and a nasty smile spread over his thin lips, “morning dollface.”

    “Ruby.” I corrected him monotonously. “My name’s not dollface it’s Ruby.”

    “Huh?” He barked rudely and loud in my face. I didn’t say anything. “I didn’t think I heard anything.” He smiled before shoulder barging past me and scurrying off. Quickly composing myself I cleared my throat and walked towards Mr Clarkson who had conveniently missed all of that.

    Peering up at me from over his reading glasses he smiled, “good morning Miss Greene, what can I do for you this morning?” His eyebrows waggled.

    “Morning Sir.” I greeted politely. The envelope in my hand feeling like lead. “I-I’ve something to give you.” I raised it towards him nervously. “I’m sorry it’s-I’m sorry.” I trailed off as he took it from me and opened it right then and there. I wished he hadn’t, that he’d waited until I’d left the room.

    “Resignation! You’re quitting? Whatever for?”

    My body twitched as I tried to display the correct body language. “I-it’s-my-I’m moving out of the village on Friday you see. That’s why. I’m moving up to Kent.” Mr Clarkson gaped at me, saying nothing for a long time. “I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my time working here with you Mr Clarkson, I sincerely have it’s just-it’s just time I moved on that’s all.”

    He gave me a genuine smile and squeezed my shoulder, “it’s been a pleasure having you on board Ruby. At least you’ve given me time to set up for advertisement in the paper…I hope that you’ll stay in touch.”

    “Sir, I’ll continue working up ‘till Friday. I’m more than happy to do that.”

    Nodding he continued, “Yes, yes, of course. Then I’ll give you your final pay packet and you can be on your way. You’ve truly been a gem though and I wish you the very best of luck.” He smiled, I was allowed to leave his office.

    Over the next couple of nights after work, Angie had decided to come round and help me pack all of my things up and it was quite an emotional experience actually…Especially when she discovered my draw of all her postcards and letters. “Good God you kept every single one!” She exclaimed.

    “Obviously! Why wouldn’t I?” I said as I folded up a dress and laid it in my suitcase. Thursday night had rolled on by too quickly. Here we were, our last night together and dad was downstairs watching some football match on the telly. “They all mean a lot to me.”

    “You sentimental fool.” She cackled as she began neatening the pile up in her hands. “I can’t believe this is really it.” She spoke quietly and I stopped to look at her. “That you know, we’re really growing up and you’re really actually doing something with your life!” She was laughing through shining eyes by then. “Who would’ve thought it?”