Chapter Fourteen

FOURTEEN

    His flat was large and spacious, everything light and airy looking with lots of expensive funny looking ornaments that I supposed he’d got from the various countries he’d toured. “Wow,” I breathed in awe, dropping my bags around me as I took the place in, “It’s like a little palace you’ve got stowed away here.”

    “Does that make you my princess then?” He growled, coming up behind me and wrapping his arms around my waist.

    “Obviously,” I smirked, wriggling out of his grip as I went over to the acoustic guitar casually lent against the wall. “Will you play something for me Jack? I love it when you sing, it gives me goose bumps.”

    Padding over slowly with that half smile slapped across his plump heavenly lips Jack lithely picked up the guitar and slid the patterned strap over his head, clearing his throat while holding eye contact with me all the while. “I’m still learning so I might fuck up a bit,” he held a hand up, pre-warning me. He did, the very first chord he strummed wasn’t right and pulling a face he adjusted his fingers.

    “She would never say where she came from. Yesterday don’t matter when it’s gone,” he sung, glancing up at me with a mischievous grin as he willed me to get the song. I tapped my hand against my thigh to the beat that I imagined would be there, smiling at him. “While the sun is bright or in the darkest night.” As his voice deepened he lowered his head, “No one knows. She comes and goes. Goodbye, Ruby Tuesday. Who could hang a name on you?” My eyes pricked with tears and my hand flew to my mouth as I realised, it was my song! He was serenading me with a world famous song that was written about me, for me whatever he insisted.

    “Jack!” I blinked but the emotion ran through me in one massive surge.

    Grinning from ear to ear and swaying slightly as he continued Jack sang: “When you smile with every new day…Still I’m gonna miss you!” He thrashed on his guitar before ending abruptly, having created the effect he was searching for and swinging the strap back over his head he practically dropped the guitar against the wall. “Fuck,” he swore loudly dashing toward the stairs, “I left the boot open.” I hurried after him as he skidded to a halt at the back of the car and picked the one small bag of my belongings and slammed the boot down, offering me a sly grin as he swaggered back over to me.

    “You’re an idiot,” I smiled, rolling my eyes before he chased me up the stairs making me screech with laughter.

    Later, after I’d unpacked and had a wash Jack told me to put my glad rags on because we were going out for food. I was still trying to get my head around moving from a little nowhere village into the heart of London going out on a proper date with my rock star boyfriend. I pushed the bedroom door ajar as I hopped around trying to squeeze into my juiciest dress.

    I came out half an hour later as dolled up as possible with my hair loose and pulled over my shoulder, “Stunning,” Jack had complimented me as he popped a kiss on my cheek and took my hand, leading me out of his flat. He’d called a taxi as we both planned on drinking and it was ten minutes later we were stopping off at one of the best hotels in London, no reservation required.

   I glanced up at the dark sky before being hurried inside, hardly any stars shined or at least I couldn’t see them which made my heart sink a little. For a brief moment my mind wandered back to my mother, my father and even my best friend. I’d hurt them all just so I could be with Jack, I’d grown up out of the blue.

    It was busy in the restaurant but everywhere I looked I saw famous face after famous face. We were shown to a beautifully decorated table out of the way and then both handed a menu each. “What?” Jack laughed when he caught me smiling at him.