Chapter eight

EIGHT

    No, that wasn’t to be. Angie ignored me throughout the entire weekend, I must have walked to her house at least six times that weekend but each time her brother solemnly sent me away. It wasn’t until nearly a week later, Thursday that she permitted me to talk. That was only because she was posting something and I was on my break outside. “Angie!” I yelled. She didn’t look. “Angie!” I ran across the road and giving a face like she’d just been chewing lemons she crossed her arms and faced me.

    “And what the fuck do you want?”

    “Hey,” I hesitated, “don’t talk to me like that. I’m still your friend.”

    “Oh really?” Now she’d gone sarcastic and this nasty version of her was seriously not very becoming. “I must have the definition of ‘friend’ all messed up.”

    “Yeah,” I nodded, “you must’ve because you’re not acting like a very good one.” Angie began to splutter so I continued. “I didn’t tell Jack to right a song about me, didn’t tell him to take an interest in me, actually the opposite, I told him not to. Stop lashing out at me, you’re nearly eighteen not eight.”

    Angie narrowed her eyes and opened her mouth, I waited, but she refused and then sighed. “You’re right. I’ve been awful. And you know what? Even if you did end up with him then it wouldn’t matter, what matters is that we’re best friends.” She flung her arms around me and we both hugged tightly.

    “Obviously I’m not going to end up with him,” I added although I did have a severe case of butterflies and knots in my stomach.

    “It doesn’t matter if you do.” She replied into my shoulder before pulling out of the hug. “You have work to be doing though. You always do Miss Workaholic.”

    “No, I have bills to pay.” I replied laboured.

    “Hard life.” Kissing my cheek Angie strolled in the direction of the bus stop where she’d disappear into her fantasy realm for a few hours. Who knew where she went or what she did? For all I knew she went off into Neverland to snuggle up with Captain Hook. It sounded like an Angie thing to do.

    When I got home there was an envelope from mum so sitting at the table with a cup of tea I opened it and read the letter. “Ruby, I’ve had absolutely enough of this. Enclosed in the envelope is a train ticket for you to catch the train on Friday to come to Kent where you will be picked up at the train station by Charlie. He’s very much looking forward to meeting you although I couldn’t possibly tell you why after the way you have been treating me. If you do not catch the train I will write a letter to your father and I will force him to pay for the ticket and then make him drive you down to Kent himself. Do you really want to put your father out like that? I will see you Friday. Mum.” In astonishment I emptied the envelope and held up the small ticket. Sure enough tomorrow I was due to head out to Kent. I’d already finished work, how was I supposed to let Mr Clarkson know?

    I got up and went to the lounge, dropping the letter on my dad’s lap where frowning he scanned through it. “Looks like you’re going to have to pretend to be ill.” He said afterwards.

    I grinned at him, “good idea! I’ll write mum a letter-”

    “No,” he cleared his throat, “I meant with work. You know, you act like it’s a matter of life or death, no pun intended there. I’ll drop by tomorrow morning and tell Mr Clarkson you’re very ill alright? You’ll go to Kent and you’ll please your mother and then maybe when you get back she won’t be on your case so much.” I hated that he was right, hated that my pride was going to have to be crushed just for my mum’s sake but I supposed sometimes needs must.