Chapter nine

NINE

    When Jack left mum literally just stood staring wide eyed at me until it became just too uncomfortable. “You know, you never told him where you live.”

    “Oh shit you’re right!” I gasped and she told me to watch my language.

    “What’s going to happen when he calls round for you and you’re back in that God forsaken village with your dad?” I could see that she was already formulating some kind of plot.

    “I don’t know, maybe if you’re feeling kind then you can give him my address.”

    “I might forget what it is though.” She spoke oddly.

    “Use one of my letters?”

    “Don’t keep them.” She shrugged. “Nothing happens in that village anyway, nothing, it’s like a void that doesn’t really exist unless you’re inside it. Looks like the only way to keep your boyfriend is if you stay here with me.”

    I could not believe what I was hearing. “Are you seriously trying to blackmail me to stay here with you?”

   “Please would you stay, darling?” She brought her hands together. “It would mean the world to me. And Charlie. I’ve missed having you around, it’s my turn to have you anyway.”

    “I’m not a toy-”

    “Darling, please, you’ll have a nice life here, it’s lovely. You’ll have your mother and your boyfriend and-and-”

    “I have a job back home. And dad. How would he feel after all this time if I dumped him to come and live with you? Angie. Then there’s Angie, that’s a whole other nut to crack.”

    “Fine. Don’t stay here. I was just thinking for the summer, not permanently if you didn’t want. I understand especially as you’ll move in with whoever-”

    I started to turn towards the stairs, “I’m not ever going to live with you.”

    “That’s not a very nice thing to say.”

    “Here’s something that’s not very nice you can contemplate over, abandoning me for four years and then expecting me to like you when you finally decide to see me again.”

    “Dear God you hold a grudge!” Mum sighed. “Look, please, consider it at least. Just for the summer. I’m worried about you darling, it would do you some good to get out of that village, to give yourself new offers.” Tilting her head she gave me a motherly look that made my insides twist. “Consider it.” Realising she wouldn’t give up I relented and told her I’d think it through but went upstairs.

    I did run it over through my mind and it did make sense, it would be easier to see Jack but then I’d only just started being his girlfriend, he wasn’t exactly a reason to uproot myself but all along I had been desperate for a change, something to break the rut I was stuck in. The job was fine, the moment I went on that date with Toby it ruined everything with my job but the real problem was Angie. Perhaps mum wouldn’t mind putting up a spare room for her? Would Angie even want to come? I went and daydreamed out of the window, it would be the easier choice to just go home and carry on but jumping in the deep end and saying yes to Jack had really altered me. No, I wasn’t going to spend the summer in that village, I would take mum up on her offer. This was my choice for me and whether Angie liked it or not she’d have to deal with it. She wouldn’t have been there most of the time anyway; she’d be doing her own thing.

    I went downstairs and mum was looking over different flower arrangements for the wedding. “Alright.” She glanced up and frowned. “I’ll come here for the summer.”