Thirty-One || Just You Wait

"Watermelon gum, huh." I said casually, stepping aside to separate us after smelling the sweet fruity scent lingering in his breath. I wasn't falling for his flirtatious persona. It worked on the the other girls but not me- why would it? I knew what he was doing, but I didn't understand why. Hayes and I were just friends, it was kinda rude for him to assume I'd go weak at the knees for him, actually. He's a good looking kid, but I wasn't attracted to him.

His brow furrowed ever so slightly, and I assumed it was because he was surprised that I responded the way I did to his provocative behaviour. Then his confused little thought bubble burst and he bounced back with his signature smirk.

"So, this list. What've we done so far?" He asked.

"Ummm, lemme check." I responded, reaching into my bag to find the crumpled paper. "So far... gotten detention-"

"Ooh, Ava Rose, you're just so baaad." He said patronisingly.

I rolled my eyes and continued, "snuck out of the house at midnight, camped out, spray painted on a public wall, stolen at least one thing from a store and gotten revenge on someone by sneaking into their house and trashing their room."

"Okay, sweet- I'm almost impressed." He teased, "So, what've you got left?"

"Go to a party with sex, alcohol and drugs, get drunk, get high and have fun completing this list."

"You'll definitely have fun if you do those three things." He laughed, and I chuckled. "Which reminds me, party at Shawn's on Friday- you down?"

"Shawn...?"

"Mendes, idiot."

"I mean, I guess I could stop by."

"Great, I'll pick you up at ten."

"Pick me up? What, on your skateboard?" I sniggered, raising my eyebrows.

"Wouldn't hurt to take mom's car for a spin." He smirked.

"What? No! Are you kidding me?" I said, eyes wide.

"C'mon, Ava Rose- live a little!" He pleaded, grabbing my arms and looking directly into my eyes, searching for a flicker of hope.

"Your mom would hate me, and you can't even drive."

"Okay, first of all, she goes to bed at nine on a Friday because she gets up at six in the morning for work, and we'll have the car back by then. And secondly, do you honestly think I haven't driven other people's cars before? Just because I don't have a licence doesn't mean I can't drive." He reasoned. I thought hard about the proposal and I was just about to say no when he added, "Screw objective ten, new thing to do on the list: take a ride with Hayes in his mom's car. How about that, huh?"

I bit my top lip and squeezed my eyes shut, tilting my face towards the ceiling.

"You fucker." I said calmly, earning a signature smirk from Hayes. He knew I couldn't say no once he made it part of the bet. Smartass son of a bitch.

"Great- it's a date."

"It's definitely not."

"You know what I meant."

"Yeah and I'd like to reiterate, it's absolutely not a date."

"You're so fiesty, Ava Rose. I like it." He said in a loud, patronising whisper.

"Learnt from the best!" I said in a sweet, sarcastic tone.

"Sweet. Anyway, gotta run- but I meant what I said on those messages. Just you wait." He said before rushing away, pretending he wanted to learn.

What the hell was he planning?