belligerent • two

Over the next few days, there seemed to be more bonfires than ever. The Jah guy (whose name I learned was Jahseh) wasn't there for the first one but he was there for the next three. The whole time I would be with Ve, Isaiah, and some guy nicknamed Ski, Jah would be silent. I would park my ass right next to Isaiah and we'd talk while Ve would eventually disappear with Ski doing who knows what.

The vibe wasn't weird with Jahseh anymore and I ended up getting used to his presence. Every time drugs were brought out, he declined and stayed to himself. That was surprising especially based on the people he would be around.

On the fifth night, some girl dragged Isaiah off somewhere leaving me, Jahseh, Ve, and Ski.

We sat in silence as Ve and Ski chatted and laughed and flirted. I couldn't keep myself from rolling my eyes at their cliche lines. Maybe I was just annoyed that I hadn't found anyone like that.

I listened to the waves crashing in the distance and wished they were loud enough to block out the love birds besides me.

"You sure that's your sister?"

I turned my head and was in slight disbelief. He was talking to me.

"Same dad, different mom." I replied without stuttering surprisingly. He nodded. "Y'all act different. You're like...more to yourself."

I chuckled and nodded, picking up sand in my hand and sprinkling it back onto the ground. "Everyone says that. She's like the party girl or some shit and then I'm just the one who tags along."

"I could tell you didn't want to be here at first."

"I could tell you didn't want to either. You still seem like you hate being out here though." I looked up from the sand and at the tattoo under his eye. It said numb in red letters. He shrugged, his eyes quickly averting from me to the ocean in front of us.

"I didn't but I hate staying in the house alone. At least here I'm distracted."

I nodded with understanding before we settled into more silence. This time it was a comfortable one.

"So your sister's name is Venus...What is yours, like Mars or something?" He spoke. I bit my lip from laughing but couldn't help but let a light laugh slip out.

"Actually it's Amber."

"Man, I was expecting like Pluto or something. Amber's alright too."

I shook my head while laughing. "I hate it. Remember when that whole Amber Cole thing happened?"

He slowly nodded. "With that girl! Shit, I remember that."

I raised my eyebrows. "I promise you that was my name for about 3 months after that. It didn't stop until I fought this girl who fucked with me the most."

He chuckled and I laughed along with him, thinking about back when that did happen I'd hit just about anyone who teased me about that.

"You win?" He asked, turning his head to me and I grinned. "Hell yeah I won. My aunt would've whooped my ass herself if I didn't."

And then the silence again. I heard the sand moving behind us and turned around to see Isaiah. He plopped down next to me while sighing.

"Have fun?" I asked jokingly. He shook his head while frowning. "She not getting a call back."