Chapter 32

It had to be the warm weather.

For the past week I've been here my mood hadn't been completely lifeless, unless I was at my hotel at night by myself with only my thoughts. So I tried to not let that happen. Turned out, once I made the announcement about my move to L.A, a lot of people, meaning other Youtubers, wanted to hangout. They all seemed to like me, even if for the most part the person I've been hanging out with the most was JC. He reminded me of myself, but only the fun, goofy parts.

After several days of non stop talking I felt comfortable enough to go back to his house with him after we went out to eat. He paid for me no matter how many times I insisted he didn't have to. At first, I thought he would never ask what happened with Simon and everyone, and for once it felt strange to me. Simon got me to open up more and now it felt weird when someone chose not to.

We were sat in his couch, my knees brought up to my chest and his arms sprawled out around the top. His fluffy curls flopped around all sides of his head. Lately we've been having such a great time, I often found myself thinking about how much of a good mood I was in whenever I was around him. Kian was really sweet too, even though he wasn't around much when I was.

"So Kelsey, we've been hanging out and you haven't told me why you came here in the first place. You had a lot of friends in London, didn't you?" The best part of JC was he never tried to push the boundaries of our friendship, yet at least. It wasn't that I didn't find him cute, or absolutely hilarious, having someone there for me without some ulterior motives was what I needed.

I pulled my legs even tighter against me. "It was kind of just my time. The house I was living in wasn't mine to begin with, it was JJ's and when things started falling apart I know I couldn't stay."

"What about you boyfriend?"

"He... thought he knew something that didn't happen, never got to tell him the truth before he pushed me away."

JC's head shook back and forth, "had to be pretty bad if it made you come all the way to California."

My shoulders shrugged in agreement, I didn't know what else to say. I never really thought about why I came all the way here. Freya was upset when I declined her offer to stay with her, but why did I? There was always Scotland... my mum was thinking about finding a place there to be around family now that she was, alone. And yet here I was, in a different continent, not knowing anyone really, barely even the boy I was sitting across from. Since living with JJ, all of my new friends were handed to me and there way no way I was going back to living my life by myself doing nothing. If I had to throw myself out there to prove that people liked me because of me and not my best friend then fuck it. Spontaneous decisions lead me to Simon, who knew what else they could do for me.

"If it's worth anything, I'm happy you're here to stay."

A smile split across my face, JC knew how to make me feel important, kind of like how someone else used to do. "Me too."

"So! You promised me that we could make a video together."

"Well, I don't think promise was the word I used."

"I was thinking it'd be fun to do a drunk makeup challenge, me versus you, you brought the stuff I asked you to bring, right?"

"Yeah, but, you want me to do your makeup? Drunk?"

Laughter escaped from him as he jumped up and jogged into his room. A few seconds later he came out with his camera and tripod. "After this, Kian actually thought about having a small party to introduce you to a few people who live around here, would you be down?" Most of me wanted to say no right away, big crowds were intimidating, that was a lot of people at once to try and get to like me. But the adorable look on his face had me thinking otherwise.