Chapter 28

"Kelsey it's been a month!  You've barely moved and I'm making a movie, come out and celebrate with us."  JJ yelled at me while I rolled over in bed.

"I'll be a buzz kill, no one will want me there.  I can be supportive from right here."  All these excuses made my best friend even more angry. Was fed up with me doing nothing all the time, I had been worse than when I first entered the house.

Something broke next to me, out of the corner of my eye I was able to make out that it was his chair.  JJ was beside it breathing hard.  "First you stopped making videos, then you get into a fight, and now on one of the most happiest nights of my life you can't find the time to show up.  Let me know when Kelsey comes back because I don't know this girl laying down in front of me."  JJ slammed the door behind him, making the entire room shake.

Maybe it was time for me leave. Obviously I wasn't getting any better and everyone was frustrated with me, I couldn't blame them.  I missed Mum anyway, she could use me around the house again.  It wouldn't be hard to keep in touch with the boys and Freya, they'd only be an hour or two away.  Like I said right from the beginning, things sounded way too good to be true.  Boy was I right.

Suddenly my eyes popped open to find that I was no longer in Jide's bed.  No, I was... At the field?  The field was a place Dad took me when I was younger when I needed to get away, before we even moved to London.  There was fresh, thick grass and heavy trees with the richest and darkest of green leaves.  Dad would say I could never lie to him about being upset because whenever I was my eyes would match them.

How did I get here?

Then a figure came from the dense woods, at first it was hard to make out.  Somehow I didn't feel afraid, being here all by myself with this stranger coming toward me.  After a few steps I could tell that it was a man.  I say there calmly in my pajamas and waited, curiosity the primary feeling coursing through my body.

The face was immediately recognized as soon as he got close enough.  That's why I couldn't move.  There was no way he was here, it was impossible.  He had been in my dreams, but they were often memories from when I was a child.  This wasn't that.  I was the 20 year old me, in the same clothing I hadn't changed out of in days.

And there was my dad.

Same as I remember him, a youthful look in his eyes and only slightly graying hair.  Older, like he was supposed to be, not to stay at 45 forever.  The look on his face showed he was excited to see me, ecstatic even.  Unlike my dreams when those things already happened and he was used to seeing my everyday.

My legs worked on their own, springing me up and racing toward my dad.  Instead of being weirded out I was too focused on actually seeing him again.  No time to ask useless questions.  So I closed the distance between us and leaped into my arms, hugging him with all of my strength.  "Dad!"  I cried.

"Baby girl," his hand went to the back of my head and he spun me around.  "Beautiful, as always."

He was lying, of course.  There were deep purple bags under my eyes, my hair wasn't washed and I was too skinny.  "I miss you a lot.  Thing are really hard without you."

Dad let go of my and sat on the grass, patting the spot next to him.  I sat on my knees and gaped at the man before me.  Still not believing he was right in front of my and I took the time to analyze every part of his face, determined to remember it forever.  "Sweetheart, I know things have been rough, but this destructive path you're going down isn't going to bring me back.  It's only going to make you lose the people you love.  It's okay to be sad but not speaking to Simon, getting into fights with Olajide, that's pointless."