Chapter 22

I'm really sorry for the super late update, but things have been really hectic and I'm very stressed. But I've managed to spend some time on this story the past week, because I had a bit of free time, so here it is! I also want to dedicate this chapter to everyone who's supported me while I've been away from Wattpad.

*****************************************************************************

The next morning I woke up quite early. The alarm was ringing and I groaned, covering my ears. "Dimitri, can you turn off the alarm?" I said tiredly. I opened my eyes slightly and peeked at the curtains—the sun was just setting. "Is it even nine yet?" I groaned again and sat up when I realized Dimitri was still asleep.

I sat against the headboard, then pushed myself off the bed after feeling awake enough to walk. I slowly walked to the desk while holding my back with one hand to support my weight. Being pregnant wasn't as easy as it seemed. When I reached for the alarm clock I realized that it wasn't the clock that was ringing—it was my phone.

I picked it up, answering after clearing my throat. "Guardian Hathaway."

"Guardian Hathaway, this is Dr. Smith. I'm sorry to call you this early in the morning, but there's something important that we found out and we'd like for you to come down with Guardian Belikov as soon as possible."

"There's nothing wrong, is there?" I asked nervously.

"No, no! Absolutely not! I suppose it counts as good news," he said. "But I'd rather not discuss this over the phone," he added quickly before I could ask him what he found out, "what with your security issues and that."

"Yes. I understand. We will be there in..." I checked my watch. It was almost a quarter to eight. "...one hour."

"Thank you, Guardian Hathaway. I will see you later."

I got off the phone then woke Dimitri up. "Comrade, wake up," I said, shaking him lightly. "Dr. Smith just called, he said he wants to meet us in the lab in one hour."

Dimitri's eyes opened slowly. "What?" He sat up and yawned as he stretched. He glanced at the curtains. "Is it even nine yet?"

I chuckled. "I thought the exact same thing when I woke up," I told him. "Come on, get up, we don't have much time."

Dimitri frowned. "Hold on. Why does he want to meet us right now? Is there something wrong?"

I laughed hysterically, and Dimitri looked at me curiously. "Never mind,” I said, shaking my head. “ Anyways, he said there's nothing to worry about, and that what he wants to talk to us about counts as good news. Now come on!" I took his hand, pulling him off the bed. "We only have half an hour to wash up and eat before leaving. Scratch that, I don't even know if we have time to eat breakfast if we need to prepare it. Have you forgotten how long it takes just to get to the damn lab?"

"Alright, alright," he said. "You go wash up first, I'll change my clothes first."

I nodded. "Okay."

Twenty minutes later, in record time, we were all ready to go. Lucky for us, Olena had just finished cooking breakfast when we went downstairs so we didn't need to wait for breakfast to be prepared.

The drive to the lab took half an hour. The lab was located up in the mountains, away from civilization. It was built for us. Well, for the baby, to be exact. Lissa had pulled some strings and managed to find some of the most skillful doctors and scientists to help find out more about our baby. The research had started a month after we arrived, and Dimitri and I had been visiting the lab at least once a week to be updated about the baby's condition, doing ultrasounds, taking blood tests, and other things like that. Of course, I was the only one doing the ultrasound. They took Dimitri's blood sample as well as mine, wanting to see if they could find out how Dimitri got me pregnant, as it was scientifically impossible for two dhampirs to procreate.