Chapter 1

The Moroi coronation ended, and everyone returned to their own places. I went back to my room, followed by Mom, Abe and Dimitri. I could feel the tension in the room growing as Dimitri closed the door. I sat on the bed, trying to look casual and relaxed. I had a bad feeling about what was going to happen.

“Mom, Dad, don’t you guys have some other stuff to attend to?” I said, hoping to get rid of them so I could return to Dimitri’s arms. But the looks on their faces told me they wouldn’t be going anywhere soon.

“Well, it seems to me that we have a family reunion,” said Abe, ignoring me. He walked over to Dimitri, putting an arm around his shoulder, and smiled at him. That smile wasn’t a genuine one—it had a mischievous feeling to it.

I shuddered, recalling a few months ago when I was still going out with Adrian, Abe had made himself very clear what he’d do to Adrian if Adrian hurt me in any way. Although I know that Dimitri’s a badass god and all—he could take down anything—but I still didn’t want to underestimate the old man. He probably had the ability to throw Dimitri into a cave full of Strigoi and leave him there, fighting all those immortal vampires by himself. After all, he did manage to find a way to break me out of the Court’s prison.

I tried passing another pleading glance to my mom, but instead she just smiled nonchalantly. “Rose, why don’t you go to Queen Vasilisa’s chambers? I’m sure she’d like some company.”

Great. Now even my mom was going to try and kick me out of my own room.

I tried to think of other stuff to say, but I was just dumbstruck. For some reason I just couldn’t come up with anything.

“I’m sure Lissa will be delighted when she sees you,” Dimitri said. He saw my worried expression and hastily added, “I’ll join you later.”

Reluctantly, I got up from the bed, and gave Dimitri a quick hug. I turned around and glared at my parents just before walking out the door.

I closed the door behind me, and walked slowly to Lissa’s room—or, should I say now, chambers. I was really worried what would happen, but all my worries disappeared when I saw Eddie standing outside the door. Seeing him brought me back to Adrian’s words:

There’s been a lot of collateral damage along the way while you battled against the world. I was a victim, obviously. But what about Jill? What happens to her now that you’ve abandoned her to the royal wolves? And Eddie? Have you thought about him? But the sight of him lessened some of my guilt.

“Hey, Rose!” He said, with a huge grin on his face.

“Oh my god! Eddie! Where the hell have you been?” I ran forward and gave him a huge hug. “I’ve heard rumors since my return, but not seeing you still made me worried...”

“Whoa, hey, chill, Rose! And since when did you have feelings so strong for me?” He chuckled. “You sure that Belikov’s okay with that?” he joked. I could feel a pain expression on my face, so I laughed, trying to hide it, although Eddie seemed to notice.

“What’s wrong?” he asked. “Did something happen between you and Belikov?”

“No,” I replied, “but I’m afraid that something will, after Abe and Janine have a ‘talk’ with him.” I shivered at the thought of Abe’s definition of “talk.”

Eddie laughed. “Don’t worry, Rose. I’m sure Dimitri can handle himself,” he said, and knocked on the door. “Queen Vasilisa? Guardian Hathaway is here.”

Hurried footsteps loudened as they neared the door, and a few seconds later, the door opened. “Rose! I’m glad you came,” Lissa said with a smile. “Come inside.”