Chapter 5

I had never felt so awkward in front of Dimitri, except from that one time when he caught me and Jesse Zeklos making out in a lounge at back at the Academy when I was still a student. But, anyways—I felt really awkward standing in the living room in front of Dimitri’s family. We all stood there in silence for a few moments; I guess Viktoria didn’t say anything to them because everybody was looking at me with question marks popping up over their head.

“I’m sorry about that, Rose.” Olena was the first to break the silence. Managing a smile on my face, I shook my head. I still felt guilty of what happened. Viktoria deserved every right to be angry at me. But when I found out the truth about Rolan, I couldn’t just stand there and do nothing, knowing that she’d get hurt after.

“Mother, why don’t we let Dimka and Rose rest for now?” Karolina spoke up.

“Of course. Dimka, Rose, have you eaten lunch yet?”

“Well… Yes-and no.” They looked at me with confusion. “We actually ate brunch, so I guess that counts.”

“Oh, yes, of course,” Olena said. “But if you’re hungry feel free to come down to the kitchen and grab something to eat.” I nodded. “Oh and Dimka, how long will you be staying?” She added.

“Only for tonight. We’ll have to leave tomorrow afternoon. We have guardian duties back at Court.”

Nodding, Olena turned to Karolina. “Will you show Dimka and Rose upstairs?”

“Yes, Mother.” Karolina came and took my hand. “Come on, I’ll show you upstairs.” Nodding, she walked back to the hall up the staircase with me following behind and Dimitri following behind me. The hallway upstairs had just enough space for three people to pass through at the same time. Pictures and paintings of members in their family hung on the walls.

There was a room on the left around the corner where the staircase ended. “This is Grandmother’s room,” she told me. “She has her own room. And this is Mother’s room,” she said, pointing to the room across Yeva’s. We passed another room, which was Karolina’s, as she told us. The room across from hers was Viktoria’s, and next to hers was Sonya’s. I noticed a picture hanging on the wall in between their doors, and I walked closer to get a better look. It was a picture of Dimitri’s family in front of their home in Baia. I spotted Dimitri standing by another man. He was so cute—he looked about 11 or 12. And just like everyone said, Paul inherited his uncle’s looks from when he was little. Paul looked exactly the same as Dimitri in the picture.

I noticed a man who was standing next to Dimitri. I pointed to him, asking, “Who’s this?”

He paused for a few seconds. “Our father.” Flashing back to a year ago, I remembered Dimitri telling me that he had beat his father up when he was 13 because he was angry at his father for beating up Olena. I flinched, not wanting to remember that. I looked at Karolina, and she had a look of hatred on her face. When she noticed me looking at her, the look went away and she turned around, walking to the end of the hallway.

“This…” she gestured to the door.

“Is my room.” Dimitri finished her sentence. I looked at Dimitri, then turned my head towards Karolina, confused.

“Then… where am I staying?” I asked.

“Well…” Karolina lifted her head and looked up the ceiling, thinking. “Both Grandmother and Mother need their own rooms, so Rose won’t be able to stay in their rooms. And Viktoria’s bed is just enough for one person so you’d have to sleep on the floor but that wouldn’t be comfortable. Plus…” she trailed off. “Viktoria is obviously in a bad mood, so I guess it won’t work if you stayed with her. And, as much as I hope you can stay in my room, I have Paul and Zoya sleeping with me, so that won’t work out, either. And Sonya… She has to take care of her baby, Nadia—that’s what Sonya named her—and that wouldn’t be convenient. So that leaves…” She glanced at Dimitri.