Chapter 18

Okay, I just wanted to clear something up. There seems to be some confusion about Rose’s pregnancy. But to explain this I have to explain my writing. I wrote this book as my thoughts of what happened AFTER Richelle Mead’s book, Last Sacrifice. Therefore, most of the basic ideas from her series are still the same. For example, dhampirs cannot reproduce (okay I know that sounds way too scientific but I can’t think of a more appropriate word right now) with dhampirs. I just want it to be clear to you guys that the basic ideas are still the same; I didn’t change them.

Although I did notice that I changed the color of the guardians’ uniforms… But I realized way too late and I didn’t want to change it anymore, so I just stuck with white top and black bottoms instead of the regular “all black.”

*****************************************************************************

I blinked at her for a few seconds. Then I laughed.

“Mom, come on! You’re joking!” I slowed down my laughing when I noticed Janine was still looking at me with the same expression. “Right, Mom? You’re joking, right?” She didn’t say anything. I used all my strength I had to sit up and turned to look at Abe. “Abe… Mom’s joking, right?” I could barely smile now.

“I’ll leave you guys in here to talk… Just press the buzzer by her bed and I’ll be back,” the doctor said, noticing the change in the atmosphere. She left the room quickly and quietly.

A few seconds later I heard a sniffle coming from my mom. “Rose…”

“Mom…?” I whispered. Tears filled my eyes, and within seconds they were flowing down my face like crazy.

“Oh!” My mom took me into her arms and hugged me as we both cried.

“I don’t know… I…” My sobbing made it hard for me to continue talking. “I don’t understand…”

“Shh…” Janine started patting my back awkwardly, since this type of situation had never happened before. We never broke-down in front of each other. But her pats were comforting, so I hugged her tighter to let her know.

Janine had stopped crying already but my tears just kept going, like a never ending waterfall. It took me a whole quarter of an hour to calm down.

“Do you feel better now, Rose?” Janine asked, letting go of me.

I nodded and sniffled a bit. “Thanks Mom.”

Her small smile made me feel better.

I had almost forgotten that Abe was in the room as well if he hadn’t… shouted. “Tell me who the hell knocked my daughter up!”

I winced.

“Ibrahim Mazur! Can you not lower your volume?” She crossed her arms and stood up to glare at Abe. It was amazing how Janine wasn’t the slightest disturbed by her height difference to Abe. It felt like there was no height difference between them because of the way they were glaring at each other. “We can talk about this later! Right now, my daughter needs her rest.”

Abe frowned. “Not until I get a name.”

“No.” Janine matched his expression.

“It’s alright, Mom,” I said. “It’s only a question. It’s not like I can…’t…” I trailed off.

“What?” Abe spun his head towards me. Janine did the same.

“I…” I stared at nothing; eyes wide open in shock as reality hit me. I didn’t know when I became pregnant. I didn’t know how I became pregnant. But most importantly, I didn’t know who made me pregnant.