Chapter 2

The following week passed slowly. I got worn out from my duties every day, and Dimitri was still nowhere to be found. I didn’t stop trying to ask where he was, despite the fact that I got the same answer every time. No one saw him after the Lissa’s coronation. Not even Hans Croft, the guardian who was in charge of each and every guardian at the Court, although he did suggest asking Christian, since he was now Dimitri’s charge and probably had him run some errands. I also kept trying to reach Dimitri over his cellphone but it just kept going to the voice box.

As each day passed, I got more and more worried. I was frightened that Abe and Janine had done something to him. I mean, they did really disapprove of Dimitri and I dating, especially because of our age difference and stuff, and after hearing what they said to Dimitri just before the coronation, I was pretty sure those two had something to do with Dimitri’s appearance. Plus, I haven’t seen them around Court, either.

Feeling depressed, I went off to find Lissa. She was reading at a table in a restaurant near the café Mia brought us to when we first came to court. There were four guards guarding her with their backs facing her, standing at least 10 feet away.

“Hey, Rose,” Lissa said, looking up from her book. I noticed the book she was reading. It was about Moroi history. I guessed she probably was reading it so she could jump in to her duties as queen easier.

“Fulfilling your duties as queen so soon?” I teased. I ordered some food at the cashier’s counter then sat down next to her.

“Ugh.” She rolled her eyes and groaned. “I don’t even want to hear the word anymore.”

“What word? Queen?”

“No, not that word. The other word—duties.”

“Why?” I asked. I was completely clueless in why she didn’t want to hear that word.

Lissa put her book down, and faced me. “Being the queen may sound nice, but behind all the glamour and royalty and stuff, there’s a lot of work that needs to be done.” I bit my bottom lip, trying to hide my anxiety about asking her whether she knew about Dimitri’s whereabouts or not. “I know I haven’t actually started to deal with this stuff yet,” she went on, “but hearing about is already starting to make me go nuts!” She threw her hands up in exasperation. “And I’m not even sure if I can still go to Lehigh College with my duties…” She sighed.

“Don’t worry, Lissa. I’m sure you and the Royal Council can work something out.” I gave her a reassuring smile, but my smile dropped quickly. I wanted to ask her, but she had enough on her mind right now already. I didn’t want to keep throwing more stuff for her to worry about.

I tried putting my smile back on my face, but Lissa knew me too well. She had a concerned look on her face. “Rose, what’s the matter?”

I sighed. “It’s Dimitri. I can’t seem to find him anywhere. Liss, I’m worried. Really worried. He wouldn’t just run off without explaining anything to me.”

“I’m sure Dimitri’s fine. Calm down, Rose. And he didn’t just leave without explaining anything, right? Didn’t he leave a letter telling you not to worry?”

“How can I calm down when the man I love has basically vanished into thin air? Oh, Liss, what should I—”

I stopped, realizing what she just said. No one knew about the letter Dimitri left for me; I didn’t tell anyone, including her. Unless… Unless Dimitri was the one who told Lissa about the letter! And that might mean that Lissa would know where Dimitri was!

I felt myself fill up with hope. I grabbed her hands excitedly. “Liss! You know where Dimitri is, right? You do know, right? Oh, please! You have to tell me!” I exclaimed, jumping out of my chair.