Chapter 10

Chapter 10

We arrived back at Court half an hour later. Dimitri parked the car in the garage and we all got out.

“Dimitri,” I touched him on the shoulder and he turned around.

“What’s wrong?” His face once was filled with concern and he studied my face carefully.

“I need to go to the bathroom. Can you get my bag for me?” He nodded. “I’ll meet you back in my room.”

I rushed to the nearest toilet. After I came out, I washed my hands and my face. I stared at my reflection in the mirror for a while, and sighed. I felt like I was sick and wanted to throw up though not much came out. I wondered if I ate something bad or if I had caught the flu. Taking one last look at myself in the mirror, I left the bathroom and went back to my room.

I took the key out of my front pocket and unlocked the door. Dimitri was inside unpacking our bags, though there wasn’t much. I walked myself to the bed and plopped down. I sighed.

“What’s the matter?”

“I’m tired,” I whined.

Dimitri chuckled. “Then rest for a while.”

“But I don’t want to,” I pouted.

Dimitri hung the last piece of clothing in the closet and walked over to me. He picked me up bridal style then put me under the covers and climbed in next to me. He wrapped both arms around me and I moved closer to him. Placing my head next to his chest, I inhaled the intoxicating aftershave smell on him. He tilted my chin up and kissed me gently on the lips. “Roza,” he murmured. “Go to sleep if you’re tired. I’ll be right next to you when you wake up.”

“But I’m not—” a yawn escaped from my mouth, “—tired.”

Dimitri chuckled lightly. “I know you aren’t, Roza.” He stroked my hair and I closed my eyes. “Go to sleep, Roza,” he whispered into my ear and I gave in to the sleepiness that was beginning to take over me.

I woke up the next day at ten. We were back on the vampiric schedule so it was technically night. And it was Saturday, meaning we didn’t have duties today though we still had the mission briefing in the afternoon today. After that, we had the weekend to ourselves.

“Good morning,” I yawned, stretching my body. Dimitri was already awake, as usual.

“Good morning, Roza.”

I yawned again and sat up. I rubbed my stomach as it growled. “I’m hungry.”

Dimitri smiled. “Again, Roza? You seem to be eating all the time lately.”

He sat up and I rested my head on his shoulders. “Yes, I’m hungry. Again.” And suddenly I got this feeling of bile coming up my throat. My hand flew up to my mouth, covering it. “Trashcan,” I said through my covered mouth.

Dimitri instantly grabbed the rubbish bin by the bed and put it in front of me. I puked into it almost immediately, and if Dimitri had grabbed it a second later our bed would be filled with my icky puke.

Dimitri patted my back and stroked my hair as I puked a little bit more. “Are you okay, Rose?”

“I—” I opened my mouth to answer but Dimitri stopped me.

“No, scratch that. You’re throwing up, so you obviously aren’t fine. And don’t say that you’re feeling fine because you aren’t.”

“Well, someone has a sense of humor today,” I teased him. “And I’m fine.” I reached for a piece of tissue and wiped the yucky bits off my mouth then threw it inside the bin. Dimitri took the bin away from in front of me and put it down on the floor by the bed where he could reach for it just in case. He patted my back again.