Chapter 21

Just a warning, some swear words in here!

************************************

Half a year passed since we left Court. If the doctors were right, the baby would be due in a couple of weeks. My stomach was huge now, due to the baby's size, and I was now stuck in a chair most of the time because of that. I didn't like feeling helpless, but I put up with it for the baby's good.

My birthday was coming up in exactly one week. Everybody was excited about it; the house was buzzing with activity. Dimitri’s mother, Olena, was calling close family friends to come over and attend the birthday party that they were throwing for me. Although I had politely declined, saying that having a birthday party was a bit too much and risky because of our location security issues, Dimitri had somehow talked me into it. It's a good way to relax, he had said. With the baby coming I know you've been having a lot of pressure on your shoulders. This is your time to sit back and have some fun.

With the baby coming, my hormone levels were high as ever. Almost everything ticked me off the clock: Zoya was an example. She was always running around the house, and her screams were too high-pitched for me to handle. Karolina had told her off then apologized to me over and over again, even though it seemed that I wasn’t the only one who had issues with Zoya’s screaming. Viktoria also had an issue with it and continuously complained.

Paul, on the other hand, was sweet and caring, more mature than an eleven-year-old boy would be. I enjoyed every time he kept me company, but maybe it was because of his spitting image of Dimitri that made him like him even more. Paul was always energetic, and he would come find me every day after he returned from school to tell me the events during his day. Listening to his stories always made me smile and laugh.

"Aunt Rose, Aunt Rose!" Paul’s shout came from downstairs. His hurried footsteps soon followed a few seconds later as walked down the hallway to my room. He knocked on the door lightly and waited for me to answer.

"Come in, Paul."

Paul opened the door and walked in quickly.

"What's the rush, big boy," I smiled, teasing him. “Oh, and leave the door open,” I told him as he was about to close it.

He grinned, sitting down in the chair opposite of me. "Guess what happened today at school?" His eyes twinkled mischievously.

I leaned towards him. "What happened?" I asked amusedly.

"There was a fight today at school!"

"Did I hear just hear that correctly?" Dimitri strode in the room, raising his eyebrows at Paul.

Paul bounced out of his chair and rushed to his uncle, giving him a hug. "Uncle Dimka, you're back!"

"Did you miss me?"

Paul nodded convincingly. "Of course I did!"

He put Paul back down and sat back down on the chair. Dimitri walked over and leaned down to give me a quick peck on the lips, and placed his hands on my shoulders giving me a massage. “So what’s this about a fight?” he asked as he continued massaging me.

Paul bounced up and down. "I wasn't the one in the fight, Anton and Viktor were!"

"Anton and Viktor? Aren't those two boys the ones that are always causing trouble?" Dimitri asked.

Paul nodded. "Yeah, and they got in a fight today because Anton said that Viktor's mom was a 'blyadischa' and Viktor got mad so he punched him!"

I tried my best to pronounce the foreign word. "Bladisha? What?" The closest I could come up with was... well, nowhere close. "What does that mean?" I asked Dimitri. He looked away, ignoring my question. It probably was a word close to swearing, and he’d never wanted to tell me the meaning of those words.