Chapter 39

Sorry it's been awhile, life has taken a hold of me and refused to give me back. Also had a major case of writers block so I hope this doesn't disappoint in any way...

So I'll shut up and let you read

I don't know when it happened over the course of the year but I had slowly turned from badass girl with an attitude to a broken girl that people kept passing around delicately. Frankly it pissed me off. In all the months I've been with my family, I've been thrown into the ringer and made to fight for my life. I've managed to scrap by with bruises and a few broken bones, nothing that really stopped me from keeping up with the men.

But now, I have a fever and people are treating me like I'm going to break in half if the wind blew in the right direction. Hello, I'm fine... I'm always fine. If I wasn't, well... I don't think I'd say anything but that's not the point here.

The point is, is that as soon as we got back to the cabin and Daryl had told the group what we saw they all instantly turned to look at me. Rick giving me a knowing glance, Shane's lips pulling into a thin line. Hershel shifting uncomfortably, Carol visibly tensing up. But my favorite reaction had to be Merle's, he turned his head and stared at me for a few moments. Then he pointed to the couch and told me to 'sit ye ass down on that there couch, and if I sees ye tryin' ta leave, I'ma have Daryl tie ye up.'

Have I become that predictable?

So here I was sitting on the nasty brownish green couch, watching the group talk over plans. My chin rested in my hands and arms rested against my knees as I looked over them with a hint of jealousy. I should be in on those plans, it was only fair given the fact my nemesis is involved.

"Say we leave right now, where are we going to stay when nightfall hits us?" Straining to listen I heard Rick bring up a valid topic. It had to be a little past noon, given the short shadow of the house on the lawn out front. It took over twelve to get to the armory, so it was either wait and hope the massive horde didn't walk fast or we leave and stumble around in the dark.

"We leave and take our chances." Shane spoke up as I watched him walk around the table. His hands positioned on his belt, his lips pursed into a thin line, clearly not liking either option. "Find a house on the way to stop at, then high tail it out of here in the morning."

"That's all well and good, but we'd be close to the Governors group. Would you be willing to risk that?" Carols voice final spoke up, and judging by the hesitance she wasn't thrilled with stopping that close to the enemy.

"I'd rather deal with him then a thousand walkers." Running a hand through my messy hair I looked up at the group across from me. They all had turned in my direction a little shocked I even said anything. "I can only kill so many walkers, and judging by the numbers of them, we'd maybe last a half hour at best." My eyes found Daryl's and I just hoped he'd go along with what I was saying.

"If we leave, ye ain't gonna try ta be a hero are ye?" Crossing his arms over his broad chest, his eyes intently burned into mine. Almost as if he was challenging me in a way.

"I'm not going to lie to you," I rose to my feet and started my way towards them. My boots thudding against the old wooden floor evenly. "If he threatens us then I'm going to do everything I can to stop him." I gritted. "But if we don't see him, I'm not going to go out of my way to find him."

When I reached Daryl his arms were still crossed in front of him. His blue eyes narrowed at me, as if he was trying to read into my words. The way he was standing with his muscles taunt and his jaw clenched I knew he didn't exactly trust me. Really, I wouldn't even believe me given my past track record. But now I saw no point in hunting him down. The walker horde would be on him in a few days and he either will get killed or he'll take off again.