Chapter 19

My eyes quickly fluttered open, seeing the morning light seeping through the fabric of the tent. For the first time in months I actually slept, without waking up to some kind of nightmare.

Leaning up, I let a yawn escape my lips as I looked over. The spot where Daryl was sleeping last night now laid empty. The blanket was laying on the tent floor, and as my fingers felt the fabric I knew he hadn't been here for awhile.

Scrambling, I grabbed my boots and shoved them onto my feet without even thinking. Then I quickly unzipped the tent door and I was out in the cold morning air.

The fire I had made had died long ago, and was just smoldering embers now. Barely hot enough to keep a person warm in this brisk weather.

Gazing around my campsite I looked for anything out of place. But everything looked fine.

"Daryl." I called out, crossing my arms over my chest trying to keep myself warm.

Maybe he left back for the prison already. At least if he was gone, I could head back and take care of the governor.

Gently rubbing my upper arms I walked over to my small pathetic excuse of a fire. Sitting down on one of the logs, I panned the area. Looking for any movement.

"You're up." Hearing the familiar voice, I turned my head and smiled. "Thought ye never would."

"Best night of sleep I had in awhile." Letting a small laugh escape my lips, I shifted over making room for him.

"I could tell." The smirk in his voice was evident as he sat down, holding several squirrels he must have caught. "Ye didn't even say anything."

Say anything? Sitting there I let my mind process what he told me. But I had no idea what he was talking about. So I slowly turned to look at him, my hand running thru my hair nervously.

"Say anything?" I questioned, raising my brow as I watched him start skinning one of the squirrels he caught.

"Ye usually talk in your sleep." Not taking his eyes off what he was doing, he answered me.

"How do you know that?" I asked, being slightly taken back. That means he must have been watching me sleep in the prison, which is a tad bit creepy. But I'm really not concerned with that part of this whole situation. I was more concerned with what might have slipped my lips.

Dropping the pelt on the ground, his gaze met mine. His eyes turned down, as he studied my facial expression.

"I slept outside your cell." He muttered, almost as if he was ashamed.

"Why?" Shaking my head, I stood to my feet. Shoving my hands in my pocket as I walked around him.

"I heard ye crying the night I left ye, after I pulled the arrow out. Suppose I just wanted to stay close." His voice was low as he told me.

"I wasn't crying." I blatantly lied. Shrugging my shoulders, acting all big and bad. But when I saw his eyes narrow at, I just laughed knowing I got caught lying. "Ok, ok. You take an arrow to the knee, and not shed a tear." I held my hands up in defense.

"I ain't judging." He shrugged, turning back to what he was doing.

"Thanks.." I chuckled and picked up a few dried twigs. Hoping I could get the fire up and going again. "By the way, shouldn't you be going back to the prison?" I nonchalantly asked as I made my way over, dropping the twigs. Watching a few sparks of fire puff into the air and get carried away by the wind.

"They don't need me." He scowled, almost like he didn't care.

Rolling my eyes, I sat back down next to him. Watching as he cleaned what was left of the squirrel in his hand, before shoving a stick thru the flesh. Turning to me he held it out and I quickly took it from him, holding it above our growing fire. If we were lucky we'd get to eat this by tomorrow lunch time...