Chapter 8

A small chuckle left my lips when I saw Shane go down. His hands and knees scrapping against the rough gravel as he tried to get to his feet.

"How's it feel Shane. Being left to fend for yourself." I laughed again as the walkers got closer.

He turned onto his back, crawling backwards towards me. Kicking at the walkers, trying to keep their gripping hands off him.

Even though I was finding this amusing, I wasn't going to let him get eaten. I'm not that sick and twisted. I always drew the line at killing the living.

Bending over I picked up the only thing I could find as a weapon. Which was a plain old stick on the ground. Breaking it in half I made it so I could use it more then once.

Stepping forward I quickly jammed the jagged edge of the stick right thru the head of the walker on top of Shane. He looked in shock to know I just saved him. But I don't leave people behind.

Pulling the blood covered stick out of the walkers head, I pushed his body over and helped Shane up fast. Giving him the other half of the stick, we quickly took out the rest of the walkers. Leaving nothing but a pile of rotting bodies behind.

Leaning over, I placed my hands against my knees trying to catch my breath.

"Why did you save me?" He asked, pushing the walker in front of him to the ground. Stick still stuck in its head.

"I don't kill the living." Shaking my head, I threw the stick in my hand to the ground. Watching it roll down the hill a bit before looking up at Shane. "What ever your problem is with me, it needs to end. I promise to keep my mouth shut and ill be leaving this group soon enough. Soon I'll just be some person that walked away. You'll never see me again."

Wiping the blood from his hands off onto his pants, he reached out for my hand. Taking a hold of it, I gripped it tightly.

"Friends? For now?" I asked, shaking his hand.

"I suppose you can call us that." He smirked, before pulling his arm away. "Let's get back before somebody thinks we killed each other." He laughed and started towards the prison.

I stayed behind for a few moments, looking at the bodies on the ground. Most of them didn't have bite marks, telling me they died and then changed into walkers.

With my fingers I traced the veins on one of their arms. It wasn't what I was use to seeing. Most walkers had black colored veins. This one didn't. Kneeling down the best I could I ignored the pain in my leg as I followed the vein all the way up to the guys neck.

"Why is it red?" I questioned out loud. Pressing my finger against it, trying to identify what was inside. But I felt nothing, it was just like the other ones. Just a different color.

"Were ye bit?" Getting to my feet, I spun around seeing Daryl standing there. Crossbow at the ready.

"No. See." I rolled up my sleeves so he could see that my skin was clean of bite wounds and scratches.

"Are ye ok at least? I saw ye and Shane wander over here." He asked, lowering his bow.

"I'm fine. We just had to clear something's up." I shrugged, pushing my way past him.

"Talking with the guy who almost killed ye? And you're fine? I ain't stupid." Daryl stated, following behind me.

"Thanks for your concern Daryl, but I really don't care what you think. I'm leaving soon enough, so you won't have to worry." I said, shaking my hands in the air. Getting a bit snippy with him. Really he choose now to care? Don't Daryl it's just gonna get you killed.