xii.

twelve

-----------------------

After Niall left the hospital – convincing Ellie to write a full report to the police department about the entire tribulation – Louis went to his flat to clean up a bit before Ellie’s coming. He never left; Zayn that is. He only watched worryingly as Ellie languidly prepared herself to adjust, mentally and physically to the current state of being she was – so hastily – placed in. To top it all off, her birthday was approaching and she felt a sense of trepidation wash over her, as the day drew near. As for Zayn, he couldn't believe that the girl he couldn't wrap his head around was spending her birthday with him! Pitiable Zayn, so eager to fall in love; hasn't he heard that one saying? Everything that falls shatters to pieces.

“So, your birthday is almost here… excited?” Zayn asked with a smile on his face as he sat in a chair, approximately ten feet away from the lass.

“Why would I be excited?” Ellie tucked a fallen strand of hair, behind her ear – exposing her tattoo.

“I was just guessing, you know? Maybe a call from the ‘rents,” he tittered self-consciously.

“You’d have to meet my parents,” she retorted chortling in a sardonic manner, quickly retreating her previous actions, “Sorry, that was a bit rude of me,” she burbled.

“No, no, no need to apologize. I’m sure your parents are charming,” he allowed his smile to reach his eyes.

“Mmhm,” Ellie looked down, silence overtaking the room like a whirlwind.

“Uh, so, you have a tattoo, I believe,” Zayn literally forced himself to refrain from asking the millions of burning questions he wanted. ‘Do you feel the same way about me, as I do you? Do you remember last night? Do you fancy me in the slightest? Do I have a chance with you? Why am I so fascinated by your lips? Why is it that I know absolutely nothing about you, yet I wrote half a song for you, and I’m completely whipped?’ to name a few.

“Yeah, and you have tons,” she countered back nonchalantly.

“Look, I really like you, and if we’re going to be roommates for a bit, please-please don’t shut me out,” Zayn begged out of nowhere, making Ellie gulp.

Not once has anyone – other than Niall – pleaded for her to abstain from talking. She was always the one who was impossible to forget, but so hard to be remembered.

Smiling half-heartedly she asked, “What do you want to know?”

()()()()

Hours. They spent hours on end getting to know each other; from likes to dislikes, you name it. She didn’t like feet and he feared losing someone who he loved. Ellie spoke flippantly on what her tattoo stood for by simply stating, “Exactly what it says, freedom,” Zayn grinned when she said that and noticed how she smiled, genuinely.

“You have a beautiful smile,” he blurted and noticed how her neck turned a light shade of red when the words fell from his lips.

“Uh, t-thanks,” Ellie never took compliments well, not only did she think she was prosaic, but because she now had a fear of people saying things to take advantage of her; the way Liam did.

“So, why do you like Peter Pan so much?” Zayn asked, just so he can get lost in the way she spoke – with such poeticism lacing her tone.

“Who doesn’t? But, I’ll tell you my theory. Peter Pan was the leader of a group of lost boys – in essence, boys who lost their way. This is something most people our age can relate to; feeling lost. Not only that, he was tired of the life he was living, constantly having to put up a fight against someone who loathed him, someone who wanted nothing more than to have him dead. He-I’m boring you aren’t I?” Ellie looked down.