Chapter One - The First Fall

Chapter One – The First Fall

The last bell rang, confirming that class had indeed begun and I was truly late.

Me.

Eira Jeanette Bentley.

Late.

For the first time in my life.

It didn't make sense. It was my first time ever being late. Oh well, I guess, the sooner I got there the better. I'd rather be two minutes late rather than twenty. With that in mind, I decided to start my progression towards my first period class, in hopes that today was, by chance, also the day when my teacher also arrived late.

I started jogging towards class (I really hated being late.) when I rammed into a wall so hard that I fell, landing on the ground. Irritated, as I was already late, I looked up to see that it hadn't been a wall I'd run into in the first place, no matter how much he felt like one.

"Watch where you're going, brat!" He yelled at me without as much as sparing a glance in my direction. Taking a deep breath, I wondered why these things always seemed to happen to me. I looked at the floor, pushing my glasses up.

"Sorry." I quietly muttered, as I started gathering my books, which had scattered on the ground when I fell, when I saw another set of hands helping me. Startled, I looked up to see the owner of those hands and found him smirking at me. I furrowed my eyebrows.

Was it just me or was Ian suddenly nice?

"Here," He said, setting the set of books he'd picked up on top of the ones I was already holding in my hands. "And be more careful next time, baby doll. You wouldn't want any more accidents to happen." He said, his smirk widening as if there was some double meaning to his words that seemed to please him somehow. Highly likely.

Ian walked around me, probably planning on heading towards his own class, but today was obviously the day I didn't feel like acting like Eira. I was acting like another person, a very non-Eira-like person.

Surprising us both, I turned around and asked him, "Like what?" I'd never felt so bold in my life.

Ian froze halfway through his steps and turned around to face me. His expression was surprised but determined at the same time. I gulped. Would it be totally wrong to turn around right about now and start running? Ian started retracing his steps towards me, almost in a predatory way.

In response, and almost subconsciously, I started taking a step back with each step he took towards me until my back hit the front of the lockers. Ian, too, stopped only inches in front of me. His eyes bore into mine and it took everything in me to keep from looking away. It was like some kind of competition between the two of us and looking away from him was like surrendering to him, something I refused to do. I may be quiet but my mother knew how determined I could be. Sometimes, she'd call me a stubborn brat.

Suddenly, snapping me out of my head, Ian grabbed my shoulders and pulled me towards him, capturing my lips into a deep kiss, breaking all of my barriers in an instant. My books fell from my hands once again and they fell to the ground with a thud. Then, reality hit me.

Ian Cavanaugh was kissing me!

His lips were on my own! A part of me told me I couldn't allow him to do that. I wasn't that kind of girl. I wasn't going to just succumb to like other girls would. I raised my arms against his chest, my fingers brushing against his hard body, when, as if he had read my thoughts, Ian pulled away from me on his own.