Chapter Ten* - Pool of Secrets

It wasn't until I was away from Talia and arrived at home that I realized what she had said to me. How could have I overlooked this before?

Talia said that my best friend transferred out of the school. Mallory was my best friend. Did this mean that she was gone? Did she really just leave?

“What’s wrong?” Callie asked me when she noticed I was upset. Callie had come to my house with me, but thankfully, my mom wasn't here. I still hadn't given her an explanation about my eyes, not that I'd even allowed her to see the. 

In fact, I'd been avoiding her ever since she got back from her trip.

“Talia told me that Mallory transferred away before things got crazy. Talia would know. She works in the main office. She probably wasn't lying because she likes inflicting damage, you know?” I told her. I found that Callie was rather trustworthy, even though she had a big mouth, she, I don’t know, I trusted her.

“Your friend?” Callie asked and I nodded in response to her question.

“She couldn't have just vanished, could she?” I asked Callie, hoping she would give me an honest answer. I didn't want her to just console me. I hated the fact that Mallory just abandoned me the way she did without even giving me any explanation or allowing me to give her one. I had to accept the fact that Mallory was really gone. She'd left.

There was no freaking way to find her!

“She didn't vanish, Eira.” Callie tried saying, soothingly. She looked like she was just seconds away from rubbing my shoulder in consolation. “She’s out there somewhere, and at some point, she has to come back and explain things. There's an explanation for everything.” I nodded. “You know what, though? You shouldn't be thinking about this right now. You have a date with my brother tonight and I’m going to help you get ready for it, so I suggest that you go take a nice shower and I’ll pick something out for you to wear. You have to wear it, too. We’re going to prove to Ian that you’re more irresistible than he thinks he is.” Did Ian really think he was irresistible? He was, in a way. “Now GO!” Callie shoved me toward the staircase.

I rolled my eyes and went to my room with Callie behind me. I opened the door for her and she went inside. I grabbed my towel and went to my bathroom. Since we had such a big house, my mom and I could at least afford our own bathrooms.

I took a quick shower, but I was sure to do some extra things, like re-shave my legs and I washed my hair twice, before getting out. I was out in about thirty minutes, partly because I was worried about leaving Callie in my room for too long.

I towel dried my hair before wrapping it around me before I hurried over to my room. Callie was sprawled on my bed watching an old version of Pride and Prejudice. She grinned when she saw me and quickly got to her feet.

“I have found the perfect outfit for you, Eira. You are going to fall in love with it the moment you see it.” She grinned, excitedly. She was clearly really happy about something. You could tell from the way her eyes glowed.

“If you found it in my closet, I think I should have already fallen in love with it.” I said, sarcastically, but Callie didn't hear, or pretended not to hear. “Now, I know there’s a small chance you’ll protest, because I found the dress in a box in the corner of your closet with a bunch of stuff on top of it, probably because you were trying to hide it or something, but I found it.” Now, my eyes widened when she said this.

The dresses I’d put in that box were gifts to me from my mom. She liked wearing dresses and some of them were her old ones. I loved the dresses but they weren't my style. “Those ones aren't for wearing…” I tried but Callie turned around and glared at me.