Chapter Fourteen* - Separation or Reunion?

I swiftly moved away from the door. I didn't know what to do. From the way he was looking at my mom, I assumed that he hadn't realized my presence, yet, so I did what I thought would be the best thing to do.

I turned around and ran to the back door. My guts were telling me to run. Go to Ian! I wanted to disobey them and stay with my mom but I also knew that we probably didn't stand a chance against Ian’s dad if he was as strong as he appeared to be.

He wouldn't hurt my mom if he was after me and something told me that he wouldn't be here if he didn't want to see me. I quietly opened the door and hurried out, climbing over the back fence. I was still wearing that disgrace of a dress but I decided to not acknowledge it. It was all trees back here and nobody ever came here, either. There wasn't anyone who would see me and if there was, oh well. I was past the point of caring.

I started running, my steps making light thuds against the grass and twigs. I started feeling an odd sense of déjà vu even though this time was completely different from the last. For one, it wasn't at night. The sun was up and it was morning. And I had a destination I was going to, unlike last time when I didn't have any clue where I was going. But the commonality was that last time I was running and I was running this time, too.

Also, this time, I didn't feel weak. I felt like I would get this to happen the way I wanted it to. I would find Ian and he’ll protect me and my mom. I didn't know why. I knew this wasn't normal. No girl was supposed to be afraid of the man who was their boyfriend’s (if I can even call him that) father. I doubted that many girls would be afraid of him, much less sneak out of their own house and run to avoid him.

Suddenly, I heard a sound that I was sure I didn't make. I froze, listening, but when I heard nothing, I started running again, being careful to listen to the sounds I was making and what sounds were coming from somewhere else.

I heard nothing.

Still, I kept running, because I’d learned something from last time. If I couldn't see or hear something didn't mean it wasn't there and I wasn't going to make the mistake of stopping to check again.

I ran for fifteen minutes without stopping again until Ian’s house came into view. I almost let out a sigh of relief. I started walking towards the apartment, when suddenly, a hand reached out and grabbed my arm, making me scream.

A hand clamped over my mouth as I scanned the area, searching for my captor. I struggled to break out of their hold, but found that the hold was strong. A lot stronger than Ian’s was.

“Listen to me.” A voice said in my ear. I froze at the sound. I recognized it. I had only heard this sound this very morning screaming and yelling.

Ian’s dad.

He stared into my eyes, slowly letting me go. It wasn't a release, though. The threat was right there in his eyes. If I move, I will regret it. If I yell, I will regret it. He made it look like I would even regret breathing. I took a small breath and waited for him to speak.

“I will give you a warning. Stay away from Caspian. Don’t keep any contact with him, or any of my kids. If you disobey me, the consequences WILL be regretful.” He growled at me. His growl seemed even more intimidating, since I knew that Mr. Cavanaugh wasn't completely human. "You have a very sweet mother."

“I-I-I d-don’t know what y-you’re t-t-t-t-talking about.” I stuttered, partly because I was still wearing the dress that I was still wearing somehow, partly because he'd mentioned my mom, and partly because Ian’s dad scared me to death. I was surprised I managed to get a sentence about.

“You know exactly what I’m talking about. Stay away or you WILL regret it. You have no choice but to believe me.” He said, looking at me, very darkly.