Chapter Twenty-Nine - The Other Girl

Chapter Twenty-Nine ~ The Other Girl

*unedited

"Callie?" I poked the girl's arm one more time but she didn't budge. Not even a little. If I didn't know Callie, I'd have assumed she was dead.

"Callie? Wake up!" Nothing. I groaned, scooting back over to my side. Now what? I'd been trying to wake the girl up for almost ten minutes and she didn't budge. How was I supposed to wake her up if I couldn't even get her attention?

I was frustrated. I couldn't sleep all night. Callie kept me up for half of it and sleep just wouldn't come to the other half. Ian's words were bothering me but I couldn't bring myself to go out and find him. It was dark and I hardly knew where his room was. I didn't want to walk in on anyone else by accident and I didn't want to have this conversation with anyone else but him.

I knew I should put more trust in him, and I did. He was my mate, the man I loved, but ever since he'd said Maya's name, my mind's been in turmoil. Questions had been flooding it all night from tolerable ones to ones I didn't even want to think about. Had she been a...lover? No, I wasn't going to think about that one.

Then, I noticed a water bottle sitting on the table at the side of Callie's bed and an idea entered my mind. "Callie?" I shook her one last time, giving her one last chance to give in and wake up. Of course, she didn't budge. "You asked for it." I muttered, picking up the water bottle and uncapping it.

I dumped the whole thing on her chest, making her scream. She flew off the bed, her eyes wide open in shock. She looked at me with the deadliest expression I'd ever seen on her face. "Why you..." She lunged at me.

I jumped off of the bed, laughing. "You sleep like a dead log!" I told her, running away. For a second, I felt like I was playing a game with a friend in kindergarten, like I was a little kid again. I ran from Callie out into the hall, with her hot on my trail.

"I am going to kill you!" She threatened from behind me.

"What?!?" I asked in mock horror. "Isn't that felony? Threatening to murder your future to-be Luna?"

"Waking me up is felony in this household." She responded.

Deciding that this wasn't why I went through so much trouble to wake the girl up, I stopped and let her catch me. She stopped in front of me. "You got me." I said. "Now what?"

She paused, looking confused. "You weren't supposed to stop." She finally said. "That's not how it works."

"I needed to talk to you about something." I told her.  Callie looked at me, not saying anything. She just watched, as if she knew exactly what it was.

"Are you nervous?" She asked.

"I'm worried." I admitted. "What if they don't like me?" I asked her. "What if Ian realizes that I'm not good enough to be a part of your pack?"

"That won't ever happen." Callie assured me with complete confidence.

"He told me about Maya." I blurted out. Callie looked shocked.

There was silence. She didn't say anything, as if whatever she might say might mess something up. Then, finally, after a lot of thought, she said, "How do you feel about it?"

"I'm not sure. Will she come today?" I asked her.

"Of course." Callie responded. "She's the Beta's daughter, after all. He's the second in command of our pack and one of Dad's closest friends. His name's Dave and Maya's his daughter. Maya's brother will probably be the one that's going to be Beta once Ian's the Alpha. If Ian wants someone else, though, that's his own decision, really." Callie paused. "What did...Ian tell you?" She finally asked. "About Maya?"