Chapter Twenty-Seven -- That's My Line

Chapter Twenty-Seven - That's My Line

*unedited

(P.S. Don't forget to VOTE ------>>>)

"Why did rogues attack us?" I asked Ian a little while after Joanna was gone. That woman was going to drive me crazy one day. I knew it was going to happen. She was like a child, even though she was the mother of three children. Despite the humiliation she put me through, the serious part of me was still thinking and I didn't understand why other werewolves would attack us. Why weren't they on friendlier terms?

Ian shifted a little from under me and tightened his hold around my waist. "Rogues aren't a part of a pack." We were finally alone in his room and we were both a little tired from the events from the day.

"But why would they attack other packs? What did you ever do to them?" I asked him, wanting to know more about these rogue wolves.

"Rogues are wolves that were banished from a pack because they did something bad. Other rogues are wolves that choose to voluntarily leave a pack. Sometimes, rogues go and join other packs and sometimes, they don't. The ones that don't are the ones who band together and attack packs. Rogue packs are growing popular, actually, and they are a threat. What's worst about them is that they're an enemy but we have no idea how to go about the whole situation. Pack wars are common. Sometimes, they take place over a female. Sometimes, they happen because of a land dispute, but when those happen we have a method. We know who our opponents are. We know what they have and they know who we are and what we have. We know who we're up against, even if we don't know what they'll do. This...is different. The attacks are random...almost as if they don't care who they're attacking. It's like they're just after bloodshed."

"That's horrible." I said, shocked.

Ian just shrugged. "That's what we're up against, Eira. We can't choose our problems. Our problems choose us."

"But still..." I mused. This new information was bringing on a headache. I was never really a fan of politics, government, and warfare and this just took reality to a whole new level. "It just seems wrong that you'd attack someone and take lives just because you...feel like it."

"Well, that doesn't stop some people, does it?" Ian asked.

"I guess not." I agreed, leaning into his chest. It was at times like this I realized how minute my problems were compared to the rest of the world. Just because I was having a bad day didn't mean someone else wasn't having a worse one. Suddenly, another thought popped into my head. "Does this mean that more of those rogues are going to be coming?" I asked Ian, suddenly alarmed. I didn't want Ian to get hurt in a stupid fight.

Ian stayed silent for a moment, as if he was unsure about what to tell me. "Don't worry about it, Baby." He finally said. "It's not a problem right now. We have other things we need to deal with." He said, reminding me of my impending choice.

"I know." I said, feeling dejected all of the sudden. I'd given the whole idea a lot of thought. I'd looked at it from every perspective before coming to any solutions. "I thought I knew what I wanted, even though I wasn't sure. Now that I know what I am, that I was born as one of you, I don't know what to think anymore. My brother is a werewolf. My father is a werewolf. You're a werewolf. I feel like I was meant to be one, too. I feel like this was what I was born to be."

"Baby doll, nobody's trying to force this on you. If you don't want to be a werewolf, you don't have to be one. It's that simple." Ian said, but we both knew that wasn't true. It wasn't just that simple. There was so much more to it that we were overlooking.

"Ian, today's made me realize a lot of things." I told him. "One major one is that I trust you with everything. I know you'll keep me safe and protect me forever. I already knew that, though." I paused, thinking. "Okay, so today I realized how much you have to deal with and I guess I kind of realized that I wasn't the only one that you were responsible for. You're responsible for everyone, including all of those people that are a part of your pack that I haven't even met yet and they're all depending on you and Dominic to keep them safe from danger. It's your job because you're an Alpha and I love that about you." I paused, coming to a sudden realization. My feelings and emotions were in an inner turmoil but there was just one thing that was crystal clear to me, no matter how cheesy and lame it sounded and it was that I...loved Ian.