Chapter 30 ~ "Don't be indecent, you filthy boy!"

Chapter 30: "Don't be indecent, you filthy boy!"

When we pulled back, our breathing was ragged and heavy. With my body pressed so close to his, I could feel his frantic heartbeat. Did I do that to him? "Luke," I whispered, keeping my voice down so we wouldn't disturb the sleeping kids.

I had to be a fool to disregard that fond look in his warm hazel eyes. It made my heart flutter. "Yes, beautiful?" he said.

I wondered if I should even say anything. But I had to. I had to stop being afraid. I took a deep breath. "Will you come with me to my mum's funeral?" It was in a couple of days. As soon as Seth came, we'd have it.

"Why wouldn't I be there with you, beautiful?" he asked, confused.

"No," I said. "Will you take me there? I don't...I mean I can't...I..." I didn't know how to say it.

"You can tell me anything, don't be embarrassed." Of course he would say that. Jesus, it was just like me to fall for the completely out-of-my-league kind of guy.

"I need you," I said quietly. "I can't do this on my own."

His hands tightened around me and I could feel him nodding. "Of course, for you I'll do it."

"Thank you."

"You're welcome." A short pause. "Beautiful?"

"Hm?"

"I don't want you to be my fake girlfriend anymore," he said bluntly.

I was taken aback, and lifted my head off my chest so I could look at him. "Why?" I asked carefully.

He leant forward and started peppering kisses all over my face, sufficiently distracting me. "Because," he said, in between kisses. "I want you to be my real girlfriend."

With those few words, I completely froze. He wanted it to be real? Did he like me? Was I dreaming?

"Beautiful?" Luke asked in concern. "Are you okay? Did I shock you? I mean, I thought I was reading the signs, but if you don't actually like me-"

"I don't like you," I interrupted, and the heartbroken look that covered his face almost made me cry, so I hastened to fix my mistake. "I actually love you." It was Luke's turn to freeze. I was a bit worried, because his expression was frozen, and his muscles had gotten stiff. I felt a frown coming on. "Luke? Oh my god, I'm sorry for just springing that up on you, you don't have to reciprocate anything, I just needed to say it before I exploded."

There was a long pause in which I figured I'd broken him, so I attempted to wiggle out of his hold. My movements seemed to break the spell, because he tightened his hold on me and brought me back into his lap.

I couldn't look at him because he wasn't saying anything, so I expected the worst. My face turned a bright red colour. I shouldn't have said anything, I should've kept my mouth shut. Of course he didn't love me, who would?

A finger lifted my chin up, forcing me to look into his eyes. "Stop over thinking it," he ordered, but a huge, happy smile began to overtake his features. He seemed overjoyed, and that made a shy smile tickle at my lips.

"Are you even going to say anything?" I asked.

"Beautiful," he started, and then brought one hand up to cup my face. "I can't even think right now because I never in a hundred thousand years would imagine you saying something like this to me, I just want to die because I'm so happy."