Chapter 25 ~ "Do I look like a dog to you?"

Chapter 25: "Do I look like a dog to you?"

Carly Martina Wolfe was born at five thirty-three in the afternoon after two hours of contractions prior to a really painful looking C-section.

Luke and I were standing together by Marie's bedside, waiting for Seth to come back from seeing his newborn be put in an incubator.

"How're you feeling, Marie?" Luke asked after a pause. I glanced at him and stifled a grin when I saw how pale he was. We'd come back in as the head started poking out, and judging from the way the blood drained out of his face, I figured Luke was one of those people who closed his eyes during the childbirth videos in Health class.

Marie was extremely tired, and looked like she wanted to bite Luke's head off at his question. Luke instinctively flinched into me, and I had to bite down on my lip to keep from laughing at his unease.

"It feels weirdly empty," she murmured, rubbing her belly absent-mindlessly. "I don't feel my little baby trying to kick her way out of my stomach."

"Maybe that's because she's not inside you anymore?" I suggested under my breath.

Mum, who was sitting on a chair next to Marie, squeezed her hand and shot me a look. "Well, I'm proud of you, honey. You did well, and gave birth to a beautiful, healthy baby."

Carly was only four pounds and ten ounces, which was why they put her in the incubator to see how she was doing, but as far as we knew, she was perfectly alright.

Mum then turned to the two of us. "Jordan, darling, have Lucas take you home. You have school tomorrow, don't you?"

I watched her in concern. "What about you?" I asked carefully. Mum looked just as tired, if not more so, than Marie. In fact, it wasn't just fatigue - it was sadness. I frowned, my eyebrows furrowing. "You should go home and rest."

Mum waved me off with a small smile. "Don't worry about me, darling. Just go home, alright? Visiting hours are almost over for non-family, and you don't want to leave Luke all by himself, do you?"

Was she trying to guilt trip me, because Luke wasn't going to cry if I let him leave on his own. He was a big boy. "Mum-"

His hand rested on my shoulder and he leant down to whisper in my ear. "Come on, beautiful."

I looked from Marie, whose eyes were now closed, to Mum, who was waiting for me to make a decision. "Okay," I finally relented, standing up straighter. "Bye, Mum. Please come home soon, okay?"'

She looked immensely relieved at my acceptance and nodded. "Of course. I'll have your brother drive me home when he's ready."

I doubted he'd leave Marie in the hospital all by herself for the whole night, so I made a mental note to call him and make sure he dropped Mum off home. But for the time being, I shrugged and moved around to hug her and kiss her forehead.

"Bye, Mrs. Wolfe," Luke said cheerfully, taking me by the arm and pulling me out of the room.

"See you later," I added softly. I allowed Luke to lead me out of the hospital and to his truck, my mind wandering this way and that as we walked.

"Hey. Hey, beautiful." I blinked, noticing a large hand waving in front of my face.

I turned to Luke and smiled when I saw his concerned expression. He really was too good for me, there was no doubt about it. It was like something had changed between us when he held me while I broke down. Like now the idea of "fake dating" wasn't enough anymore. I couldn't wish for more though, because Luke should have a girl who could meet his every need. I wasn't sure if I could be that girl. I was a mess.