Chapter 20 ~ "Put that thing away!"

A/N: The theatre has a proscenium stage :) Also, the house of a theatre is where the audience sits, and the lobby is where they go during intermission! And callbacks are after the initial auditions, for the people who're getting a lead role. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask! :)

Chapter 20: "Put that thing away!"

"Jordy!" an excited voice bellowed as soon as I stepped through the theatre doors.

I smiled wanly, trying not to look too disgusted as I walked through an aisle of seats to get to the stage. Luke was waving his hand energetically at me, a giant grin on his face. He was surrounded by a group of choir girls and a couple of the sparse theatre guys, all of whom were staring at me like I was a strange specimen.

I didn't blame them, I mean, I made it pretty clear that I was adverse to any and all extracurriculars that put me on the spot. I hated the spotlight more than most things, which was why nobody really knew to give me solos during choir competitions even though I was one of the only true sopranos. Not to mention that Student Government swamped me with more than enough work already, and with Mum only having a few months left...

Remind me why I was doing this again?

Oh yeah. Luke.

Speaking of the devil, he pushed through his fellow theatre geeks and sprinted towards me. Before I could even think about dodging out of the way, he swept me into a huge hug that literally brought me off my feet, leaving them dangling in the air.

"Luke!" I gasped, feeling my cheeks flood with colour as he buried his face in my neck, nuzzling the warm skin with his cold nose.

"How's my beautiful girlfriend doing?" he asked cheerily, loud enough for the others to hear him.

Of course, never forget it, Jordan. It was all a show. Don't get your hopes up. He doesn't care about you like that. "Luke, if you don't let me go, I will shove my fist down your throat," I murmured quietly, unable to move because of his restricting hold.

He simply chuckled and removed his face from under my hair only to grin widely at me and plant his lips on my cheek.

Just like all the other times he'd done so, the lip-to-skin contact caused my already red face to darken and my poor heart to go into a frenzy. I was so sure he could hear it, with us being so closely pressed together, but he gave no sign that he could feel the frantically erratic pounding in my chest.

"Jordan, you are so bad at this whole girlfriend thing," he observed, setting me down.

I shifted under his questioning gaze, trying to make my expression neutral. It was so hard to be cool around him, and I didn't know why. Normally, it was easy for me to be calm and emotionless. It was practically my thing. My regular face was a poker face. So why was it so hard to remain normal when he was around?

When he was around, I couldn't stop myself from blushing, I couldn't control the beating of my heart. I couldn't stop myself from smiling at him, laughing with him, worrying about him. Nobody could convince me to do shit like he could, hence why I was in the theatre in the first place. It was like all I thought about was him, him, him.

I was literally going insane. "What do you mean? That I'm a bad girlfriend?" I retorted, putting my hands on my hips.

He pursed his lips. "Remember, way back when, when I said I would teach you how to get over a broken heart?"

My eyes flashed with irritation when he brought up one of my weakest moments up to the surface again. Fucking Ryan, wasting so much of my time on that useless excuse for a teenager. "I'd managed to keep that thought away, thank you very much!" I huffed, shoving him with my shoulder.