Chapter 19

Connection

POV Lady Shima

"Lady Shima, shall we go interrogate the prisoners?" I heard Taki say.

"Yes, give me a moment." I replied.  I looked around to see the people of the Enuki village tending to the wounded and repairing casualties. 

I walk towards the shed that holds the Orthion captain and the other woman.

Taki unlocked the shed door and I slowly make my way inside.  The captain was staring in my direction and the other woman awoke suddenly from her nap. 

"As you know, I am Shima.  You are the captain I presume [looks at Sarah]...while you are?" I quizzically look at the brown hair woman.

"Michelle, head medic."

I nod slightly in acknowledgement.

"I have come with a negotiation.  Your release for information." I state.

"What do you want to know?" the captain replies.

"Why did you attack this village?" I ask assuming that she knew it was a highly unstrategic move.

"Truthfully, I have no clue.  Sorry to disappoint Shima, but we have nothing to tell."

I sigh.  This reminds me of the time I was interrogating Rina.  Are all Orthions this stubborn?  She honestly can't think I'm that stupid.  Why do my interrogations always end up as an ample waste of time??

"So, you are telling me that you marched into a battle without knowing your own plan?" I try to emphasize the outrageousness of the situation.

"Yeah, pretty much.... the soldiers, I included, were merely following orders."

I glare at her and try to catch a bluff but she seems to be telling the truth.  The whole thing is extremely suspicious.... I ponder what Orthion Law could possibly be thinking.

"Oh no." I gasp outloud.  That's it!  Orthion Law's main target Hanabi Village! He just used this unit to lure me out!!!

"Taki! Go prepare the troops now!  We march back to Hanabi village as fast as we can!" I say frantically.

His sudden surprise is replaced with seriousness and he briskly walks out to implement my orders.

"Damnit!" I curse at the likely possibility that I'm correct.

But why would he just want to attack Hanabi village instead of destroying my army?  Why go through the trouble?

Oh god..."Rina!" I say to myself.  He's after her!

"Did you say Rina!?" I hear the two ladies shout behind me.  I was so engrossed in my thoughts I forgot about them.

I turn around and raise an eyebrow.

"She's alive!? Thank goodness!" I hear the one called Michelle say.

"Please, please let me see her!" she begs.

"I'm afraid I cannot.  That would be too risky." I shrug her off.

"No, please! Look at us! We have lost everything! We were abondoned by our own and I, for one, am no longer willing to fight for them or against you." She stares straight at me with steady eyes.  Ones that hold no lie. 

"And you?" I look at the captain.

"I...I'm the same." She agrees sadly.

"Fine.  I will allow you two to come but you will remain without weapon."  I walk out of the shed and motion for them to follow quickly.

I hoist myself onto my horse at the head of the cavalry.  With no time to waste, we march back to Hanabi village.  

Broken Bliss

POV Rina

I sat up suddenly as I heard the warning bells go off.  What could be happening now?!

"Come on Rina!" I heard Yuuna call my name and break into a run to the front gate of Hanabi village.

I broke into a sprint and we made our way to the front.  I could already see Hiratana's soldiers fending off the Orthion soldiers that had made their way into the gate. 

"Miss Yuuna!" a soldier was yelling and running toward us.

"We were not expecting an attack!  We are trying our best to hold them back as the civilians are being evacuated but we don't have enough manpower!" He was frightened.

"This is Law's army." I stated.  I could tell by their uniforms.  He's here..... 

Yuuna gave me a sympathizing look as she had an idea of the hideous things he is capable of.

"Keep the men fighting as long as possible until the evacuation is complete and send word to Lady Shima." Yuuna commanded the soldier.

I knew this moment to fight against my own would come someday...so I drew my sword, ready to strike down anything that harms Yuuna, even if it means killing my own.

Cornered

POV Yuuna

We are completely outnumbered!! I parry an Orthion sword and strike the soldier down in a clean swipe.  I look around to see my fellow Hiratana comrades being easily pushed back, unable to hold off any longer.

"Retreat!!" I yell.  "Regroup at the river and aid the remaining civilians!"

I watch to see my soldiers retreat, attempting to hurry the civilians out of their homes.  There are flames everywhere.  Burning the beauty out of Hanabi village and leaving nothing except ash like once before.  Flashbacks of my own home falling to pieces under the flames invade my thoughts, reminding me of the horror that ensues around me and the urgency of war.

I hear a snap behind me and turn too late to completely dodge the blade. 

"Ahhh!" I scream in pain at my wounded right arm. 

I gain my senses quickly and dodge another oncoming blow. I ignore the pain and return a finishing blow to the enemy.  My katana drops to the floor soon after, as I am no longer able to hold it with my injury.  I awkwardly pick up my sword with my left arm and sheath it.

I can see many Orthion soldiers coming from the distance, knowing that it won't be long before they catch up. 

"Rina!" I look around to see that she's nowhere in my sight.  I frantically turn my head in all directions for a clue.  I run towards the flaming village in search of her.

Meeting of Kin

POV Rina

I saw him.  He was alone and baiting me out into woods outside the village.  I took the bait despite my better judgement but the important thing is ending this war.  And if I get him, the war will end.

"Law! Show yourself!!" I yell.

I see a figure in my periphery step out from behind a tree.

"Forgetting the honorifics Rina? I'm so sad." He gave a sarcastic pout.

"You are not my Master anymore." I retorted.  What I said seemed to tick him because I saw a twitch in his eye.

"You should come back with me Rina.  You need Ortion and Ortion needs you." He opened his arms in welcome.

"And why the hell would I need Ortion?  All you want me for is to help you in your little childish game of war." I said in a cold, calm voice.

"We are kin, Rina and nothing is stronger than the bond of blood.  I was there for you even when all else was gone." 

"That may be true Law, but you treated me less than dirt.  And there are bonds stronger than blood." I drew my sword, no longer wanting to play his mind games.

"So be it. You've disappointed me." Law said as he drew his own sword.

"I'm not living to fill your expectations!" I spite and strike first.