Chapter 13

POV Yuuna

"May I have two rice balls please, Mr. Okazaki," I smile at the old man.

At the corner of my eye, I see Rina and Taki walking through the crowded village together.  She must have found a new escort....because she was not in the dojo yesterday.

"Here you are Miss Yuuna," the old man smiles as he hands me my order.

"Thank you!" I say politely.

I glance over again to them and see Taki actually enjoying himself.  That's a rare sight...but Rina has a natural ability to warm people up to her.  I look away and begin to munch on a rice ball.  I should go home, it is none of my business.  I glance one last time to them and see them walking almost out of sight.  I want to see what they are up to so I decide to follow from a distance....not that I'm spying! I just have some spare time....

As they head through the village, I avoid suspicion by peering at trinkets and talking to store owners.  I see Rina bend down to play with a stray dog.... which is kind of... cute.  I stop at the nearest trinket store and pretend to shop. 

"Yuuna! Nice to see you here!" I hear Lady Shima's voice right beside me.  I'm so engrossed in watching the dog....and Rina, that I fail to notice my surroundings.

"Lady Shima!" I say a bit startled. 

"So what are you doing here alone? You're usually with Rina."  She questions.

"I am not incapable without her, I do have other personal things to do." I say a bit defensively.

"So you two have fought again." Lady Shima chuckles.

"Lady Shima! I didn't say that!" I pout. I also glance to see if Taki and Rina are still with the dog.

"Oh...so Rina's found herself a new playmate," Lady Shima says while following my wandering eyes over to Taki and Rina. I get a bit flustered as Lady Shima notices that I've been continually looking over at the pair.

"Well, Yuuna, not that I gossip often, but Taki seems to have taken a liking to Rina," she says mischievously.  I feel a pang of anger, yet sadness in my heart.

"A...a liking? That's proposterous, Taki doesn't like anyone." I stutter.

"I suppose.  Oh well, I must go finish my invoices.  I shall let you get to your....shopping," Lady Shima says, emphasizing the 'shopping.'

I bid Lady Shima farewell and also realize the pair starting to head out of the village as well. 

I begin to walk after them, I think they are heading to the springs.  It's a very beautiful, secluded place that I personally love to spend my leisure time.

I see Rina looking so excited at the scenary and just having so much fun....like how she would act when I would escort her to new places.  I miss those times already.

I continue to watch Rina's joyous expressions and can't help but feel happy myself.  I notice her energy is so compelling, it makes you want to be in her presence.  Her hair and eyes are so unique, colors that are uncommon to me.  She is I guess... very attractive....Oh heavens, no.  I feel my heart racing and my cheeks growing hot, as I catch myself thinking about Rina in such a way. 

"Yikes!" I hear Rina gasp as she slips on a slippery rock near the spring and I grow worried.  I see Taki grab and steady her in his arms.  They are really close...too close....and once again that angry and sad feeling overcomes me.  Am I jealous? Jealousy is such an awful feeling and yet why am I the one who's feeling it?  It is not as if Rina is a possession that belongs to me.  I try to rid of these powerful emotions.

I tear my eyes away from the scene so bothered by it and quickly jog back towards the village.  Away from them.

Resolution

POV Lady Shima

I finish sorting the last of the invoices and see that it is already sundown.  I pull out sister's diary and begin to read where I had left off. She began writing when she was fifteen so most of the early entries were about our memories playing in the garden, learning politics, going to gatherings, and such.  All this was normal until she began writing about a man she met at the age of 23, that I had no idea she was involved with.

My thoughts are interrupted by a voice,

"Lady Shima, may I please enter?" Yuuna said in a more pleading, desperate tone.

"Come in Yuuna," I grant permission while quickly tucking away sister's diary.

She came in and knelt down in front of my desk. Her actions seem a little off, more distraught and unsettled.

"I saw you earlier today, so what has happened between then and now that you would like to share with me?" I ask light heartedly.

She doesn't respond back to my joking manner, which is usually the case.  She must be quite troubled.

"Well....it is not something that happened but rather I would like to discuss." She pauses then continues.  "If supposedly, Taki did like the Orthion....would that be an offense? I mean if they become lovers?" 

I process what she says. "I do not think Taki has taken a romantic liking to Rina, my dear.  I would say it is more platonic."

"Umm.... let's say it was romantic.  Is this not a serious crime?" she persists, wanting to know my answer.

I know that she is asking in a roundabout way about herself and Rina.  I have noticed their relationship long before.  At first I brushed it aside, but I am sure that Yuuna and Rina could have possibly fallen for each other.  It was definitely a problem when Rina began to advance on Yuuna and I would have never condoned such behaviour from an enemy.  However, as soon as I realized that Yuuna may feel the same, I weakened my resolve to stop this from happening...  and now she's in a state of conflict, asking for my acceptance.  This is too soon! I have not yet made my mind.

 I sigh outloud.  "Yuuna, let me say this."  I close my eyes and very tactfully say my next words.

"If Taki and Rina became lovers, it will be a risk and complication." I see Yuuna's facial features drop.  "But....love is not a crime.  One cannot choose whom they fall in love with because it is beyond one's control thus, should not be punished."  

Yuuna looks at me a bit more hopeful but still confused.

"So, would Lady Shima support this?" she asks.

"If I were to choose, Yes." I say, knowing that my answer may determine the fate to their relationship. However, I am still fearful of all the things that could go wrong with them but I know love does not come by often in a lifetime and I would regret taking this opportunity away from Yuuna.

"I see..." Yuuna says barely audibly.

"You should go make up with Rina," I conclude.

"Oh! Perhaps...but I wasn't talking about us!" she says in surprise.

I'm sure...I think to myself.

"Besides, she has found other friends.  She is having too much fun with Taki to occupy her thoughts of our dispute.  She has probably forgotten and moved on from such a trivial thing." she no longer attempts to hide the sadness in her voice.

"That's too bad... she always looked more happier when escorted by you.  But that could just be my imagination." I say outloud.  I see Yuuna shrug and get up from her knees.

"Thank you for your wisdom Lady Shima" Yuuna bows.

I go over to her and embrace her into a hug. Her body stiffens in surprise.  "Anytime Yuuna, I am always here for you."  I feel her return the embrace.  It's as Rina said, everyone - no matter how strong they appear - needs someone.

Afterwards, I see her off. Such a cute girl and I do wish her the best.  This is just like the time you fell for him, Natsuri.  I think about my deceased sister and her entries of her Orthion lover.