Chapter 7

Dun, Dun, Dun! What happens to Rina?

Enjoy ~

A Life for a Life
POV Rina

Holy ouch.  My head was throbbing with pain.  I suddenly realize that my eyes were blindfolded and my hands tied behind my back.  I was being dragged by my arms by two men on both sides of me.  My feet were limply skidding across a smooth wooden floor.  I must be in Hiratana territory.  All I remember was Yuuna and seeing stars before blacking out.

The men stop and let go of my arms.  I slouch down to the floor on my knees, still in a lousy state. 

"Remove her blindfold," I hear a firm, commanding voice.

At first, I squint at the light in the room and finally my vision comes into focus.  I look around to see that I'm sitting in a very traditional, well polished room.  Then there's a woman sitting before me at a desk with traditional, extravagantly designed clothing.  Documents of sorts seem to be neatly piled on the corner of the desk and she puts down her ink pen to give me a good look.

She signals the two men to move aside and stand guard at the doors. 

"I am Lady Shima, the Hiratana leader.  You're name?" She asks as she picks up her ink pen once again to write on the next document.

"Rina," I say hesitantly.

"Rina...a name uncommon to Orthions." She curiously says to herself.   "So, you're the one whose been giving trouble to the Hiratana.  You must be quite formidable," she says.

I can't help but wonder if she always talks rhetorically.   

"Are you going to kill me now?" I ask, no longer wanting to drag on the pointless conversation.

She puts down her document.  "Are you so insistent on dying?" she asks.

"Last time I checked, we are at war. And I am your captive."

"Yes, killing you is the best course of action.  I was merely hoping to see if you would be worth information if kept alive." She says in a very rhetorical manner.

"Unfortunately, accepting mercy is not my style and I'm not telling you anything," I say non chalantly.  I desperately look for a way out but being restrained and unarmed make my chances of escaping zero to null.

"So be it. Taki, Mahra, take her outside to the back." She orders the two guards and picks up her katana from the mantle behind her desk.

I am once again hoisted off the floor and taken outside from her quarters.

My knees are on the grass and my head is down.  I guess it ends here, am I really okay with dying like this? My life has never been pleasant....the death of my parents....headquarters 1....maybe it's time to find some peace?  But.... Yuuna. No...not yet! I don't wanna die! I shut my eyes tight and clench my teeth.

I hear the scraping of metal as the Hiratana leader unsheathes her sword.

 _________________

POV Yuuna

I pace back and forth outside Lady Shima's living quarters.  I remember her body going limp and unconscious from the hit.  It was painful to watch but why?  Lady Shima will probably execute her.  That's for the best, right?  Hiratana will gain from the loss of the Orthion woman and better our chances of winning the war.  I shouldn't go in there...it's for the best.  Then why does my heart feel so torn? I put my hand to my chest as an act to still my unease.  It must be because...because I feel guilty! She did save my life, it is only proper to repay my debt. Okay, I'm going to talk to Lady Shima.

"Lady Shima, may I please enter?" I call beyond the closed doors.

I find it odd that there are no voices.  Unless.... oh no!  I open the sliding doors to confirm my conclusion.  The room is empty meaning that they've already decided to kill her!  I run as fast I possibly can to the back in a state of panic.

I see her kneeling on the grass and Lady Shima's blade rise.  I feel an overwhelming sense of relief seeing her still alive.

"Lady Shima! Please stop! Stop!" I yell at the top of my lungs. I kneel down in front of the Orthion woman and lower my head.

Thankfully Lady Shima retracts her blade. 

"Yuuna, may I ask why?" Lady Shima questions.

"With all respect Lady Shima, please show mercy.  She saved my life and I am indebted to repay that honorable deed," I beg.

"She...saved your life?" Lady Shima takes a careful look at me. She shieths her katana and sighs.

"Yuuna, I cannot deny your request especially with that expression on your face.  If she is worth your mercy than she is worth mine.  You will thus, be fully responsible for her and her captivity here. I require an audience with you tomorrow at sunrise."  She turns and walks away with Taki and Mahra close behind.

Back at Hiratana's Border: Orthion's units

POV Sarah

"Unbelievable! We got our asses handed to us! I set us up for ambush!" I yelled in frustration, hitting my fist to the table.

"It isn't your fault.  No one would expect the Hiratana to retaliate that quickly.  I'm more worried about Rina...." Michelle saddens.

I look at Michelle sympathetically.  "I saw her go to the river and that's where the Hiratana soldiers came from....meaning she probably got captured..." I trained off not wanting to worry her more.

"...Or killed," Michelle whispers and puts her hands over her eyes at the thought.

"No, now you look here Michelle.  Rina is one hell of a fighter and that means there's a good chance that she's alive.  She'll probably meet up with us eventually." I say in a confident tone, trying to convince even myself.

"I guess," is all Michelle can conjure up.  "Shouldn't we look for her? A search team?" Michelle's eyes light up at the suggestion.

"Sorry, Michelle.  That's not something we can afford.  We're in pretty bad shape and I don't want to send my men out there blindly.  We don't even know where she could be."  I reply matter of factly.

Michelle simply nods. "You know Sarah, you're surprisingly a good captain."

"Surprisingly?" I act offended but her compliment lifts my mood.

"Well, Michelle.  You're surprisingly a big softy whose lonely for Rina's company," I tease.

"You shouldn't be the one talking (Michelle crosses her arms).  So what happened between you and Rina?" Michelle asks.

"Nothing really, just a little fun." I smile at the memory.

"You better not play with her or I'll come after you," Michelle gives a threatening glare.

"Oh crap, stop the glare of death!  I never plan on taking her to bed....unless she wants to, which I will most definitely not refuse.  Rina is pretty damn cute." Rina is cute but not my type. Michelle on the other hand...

"Stop joking around!" Michelle laughs a bit in amusement.

"Speaking of bed, wanna share one tonight?" I boldy state. Little does she know, I'm not joking.

"In your dreams." Michelle outright refuses and turns around to retire for the night.

"Well at least we can do more together in my dreams!" I playfully say, disappointed in her answer.
I see her turn around, her face back to her normal uptight demeanor. I quickly start running away from the wrath of Michelle as she begins her angry lecturing.  I laugh to myself...I haven't enjoyed teasing someone so much.