Chapter 13

I feel my body tugging back and forth lightly and I open my eyes to see Claire, one of the softball players, shaking me to wake me up. I give a smile.

            “We’re back home. Everybody was passed out.”  She says. “Okay, thanks.” I say and she walks away. I look at Danielle who is sleeping peacefully. I don’t want to wake her up. I get up slowly and grab my stuff and Danielle’s. I get off the bus and put them in my truck. I get back on the bus and walk to the back. I grab her pillow with my teeth and I lift her up carrying her in my arms.

            “I’ll carry her for you.” A male voice says. I look up to see that it’s Trent. Why would he want to carry her?

            I let go of the pillow with my teeth and it lands on Danielle’s stomach softly. “That’s okay. I got her.” I give him a smile. “Are you sure?” He asks. I sigh. “Yes.” I re-assure him.

            I walk down the aisle making sure I don’t let her head hit any of the seats. I look at Trent as he stares at me. I start to feel jealously take over me for some reason. I know that Danielle isn’t straight, or bi, at least I hope not. But it’s making me suspicious of why he wanted to carry her. I didn’t know she talked to him anyways. I walk down the stairs off the bus and I open the door to my truck. I sit her in the front seat buckling her up. She mumbles a little and I laugh silently. She’s so cute when she mumbles in her sleep. I shut the door, trying not to slam it. I get in the truck and drive off towards the house.

            I glance to see Danielle leaning over towards my side. I put my hand on her thigh. She kind of moves from that. I stare at the road hoping I didn’t wake her up. I start to think of bad thoughts about her and Trent so I move my hand.

            “Addie?”

            I look at Danielle then back at the road. “Mmm.” I mumble a bit aggravated.

            “Hey, are you okay?” She asks.

            “Why would Trent want to carry you off the bus while you were asleep?” I say straightforward with the reason I’m upset.

            “What?”

            “Trent. He wanted to carry you off the bus when I was picking you up as you were sleeping.”

            She sighs. “He confessed to me a week ago that he was in love with me.”

            I grit my teeth and clench my fingers on the steering wheel. “And you didn’t tell me?”

            She leans up in her seat. “He’s the one in love with me.”

            “Do you like guys Danielle?”

            “No Addison.”

            “We have been dating for 8 months and you don’t tell me anything.”

            She scoffs. “Well if you wouldn’t have fallen asleep on me last night, maybe you would have known that Trent was in love with me. What do you think I was telling you that was so important about last night?”

            I swallow hard. I start to get pissed off at myself and I hit the steering wheel hard. It causes the steering wheel to go out of control. I open my eyes wide as a car comes towards us.

            “Addie!” Danielle screams. I grab a hold of the steering wheel, but it’s too late…

            My truck starts flipping over and over again on its side. All I hear is the sound of shattering windows and the love of my life screaming. I close my eyes and the air bag hits me in the face. I feel pain rush all over my face and parts of my chest. I sit there feeling numb noticing blood all over my arms. I swallow hard and I take my seat belt off. I look at Danielle who looks un-conscious. My eyes widen. “Danielle?!” I scream at her. She doesn’t move. I push my truck door open. The truck is lying on the passenger side. I see someone running to me and I ask them to hold the door open. Everywhere on my body is in pain, but I only care about getting Danielle out. I unbuckle her from the seat and grab her body. I hear an ambulance in the distance.