Chapter 6

“Good luck out there baby. I know you’ll win.”

            I smile big staring at my computer screen.

            “Thank you Mom. That means a lot to me…”

            My mom finally was able to get time to contact us on Skype. She wrote us a letter last month telling us a certain day to get on Skype. She’s here…. She’s right in front of my face. Seeing her again has given me the biggest relief right now. I start to tear up.

            “Don’t cry Addie. You’re my beautiful girl.”

            “I’m so happy that I was able to see you again. It’s been so hard without you. I miss your warm hugs Mom.” I wipe my tears away slowly. I stare in her light loving brown eyes. I miss seeing her in her casual outfit, but all I see her in is her military uniform. I’m happy I get to see her whether she’s in casual or uniform. I can’t help but to cry. She’s the only one that gets to my emotional side, because she’s so sweet and she understands me. “I love you, mommy.” I know saying mommy is something a child would say, but I don’t care. I haven’t heard her voice in so long.

            “I love you too Addison. You go get em’. Make me proud.” She smiles big. “Your right here…” She points at her heart. “So are your sisters and your father. I think of you all every day. You guys are my strength.”

            I smile letting tears fall from my eyes still. “Your right here too…” I point at my heart.

            It’s something that was special between my mom and I. We always said the words ‘you’re right here’ and we would point at our hearts. It was something we made up together.

            “I’ll go get Morgan. Bye Mom…” I wave at her. She waves back and kisses her hand and then places it over her heart.

            I leave the desk chair and go get Morgan. My dad, Morgan, and Bryann knows my mom is able to get on Skype sometimes now. Bryann isn’t here though. I haven’t spoken to her since the night she told me to grow up.

            I watch Morgan go into the office and I shut the door so she can have some privacy. I can already hear her sobbing. I know exactly what my mom will say… “All of you are too beautiful to cry.” My dad will probably be sobbing like a baby, but that’s something I love about him. He’s sensitive as a man.

            I walk into the kitchen as my dad reads a newspaper. “Your after Morgan.” I smile at him.

            He looks up from his paper and can’t help but to smile. “How is she?”

            I pull the chair out from under the table and I sit down.

            “Mom is great… she still looks beautiful as ever, even in a military outfit.”

            “I can’t wait to speak to her.” I stare at the smile that’s still across his face. I wonder how he feels when he sleeps alone at night. The first couple of months he didn’t take it too well. He had a lot of nightmares of her dying during fighting. This will be a good refresher for him. For all of us.

            I go back upstairs and get prepared for my big day today. It’s my first competition in a while. I start to get butterflies because I’m nervous. I take a long hot shower and I put my casual clothes on. I brush my teeth. I see my dad coming out of the office. He just got done talking to mom. He looks at me and I can tell he’s being crying. I wink at him as a comfort. He smiles at me. I’m feeling so good today.