Chapter 17

Numerous pictures have been taken over the past few days of Courtney. Bryann and Gregg have been staying at our house so my mom can help out. The baby doesn’t affect Bryann and Gregg only, she affects all of us. We all wake up from her crying and it’s funny, because one of us will walk out of our room saying ‘I got it!’ Everyone else will go back to bed enjoying their sleep. I have never slept like this in my entire life. I was only 2 when Morgan was born so I didn’t pay attention to her crying as a baby. I slept like a baby through it, in fact.

            I rock back and forth in the lazy boy recliner as I hold Courtney in my arms. I smile at her as she opens her eyes constantly and looks around the room. All she sees is me and I make funny faces.

            “You’re so cute.” I say to her. She has no idea what I’m saying, but I talk to her anyways.

            “You’re the cutest baby I have ever seen.” I kiss her forehead. “You stink sometimes, but you’re still cute.” I chuckle a little.

            Bryann and Gregg are finally sleeping in the guest bedroom since I’m taking care of the baby. I hope she doesn’t need to be fed anytime soon.

            I lean over to the new stereo that was put in the living room. It’s for playing sweet soft songs if any of the family members are holding Courtney. Sometimes she’ll doze right off to the music. Sometimes it’s the person holding her.

            I put in a Celine Dion CD and play it. The classic song “My Heart Will Go On” starts playing. I love this song to death.

            I continue to rock in the chair as I stare at Courtney. She stares at me back and I put my finger near her hand. She wraps her tiny fingers around my finger. I smile. I like it when she grips onto my finger. It’s sweet. She doesn’t know that it’s sweet to do that, but I find it very sweet. I grab the light remote and dim down the lights some as random thoughts of Danielle and I run through my mind.

            I start thinking about what if Danielle and I had the kid. Who would actually have it? Our first choice is to be pregnant with one, but if we don’t go down that road, we’ll adopt. I have said before I don’t see how I could have a child, but I wouldn’t mind carrying a baby inside of me for 9 months. I don’t know if I could handle Danielle being moody. I smile to the thought of me picking on her being moody. I look at Courtney who seems to be sleeping. I lean back in the chair some and rest. I’m not sure how my future with Danielle will be, but I will make a future possible with her. I never want to let go of her.

            Just as I began to think of other things, I glance over at my phone when I see it light up, and it’s Danielle calling me. I answer it.

            “Hello?” I say in a soft tone so I don’t wake Courtney up.

            “Hey baby, what are you up to?”

            “I’m rocking Courtney back and forth while she sleeps.”

            “Aww, that is so cute. You want to be the pregnant one?” She giggles and I roll my eyes.

            “I kind of thought about you being pregnant instead of me.” I say honestly.

            She pauses for a moment. “Why me?”

            “I love your looks better than mine. I think that you should have it. Your parents will never have a biological grandchild unless you have it.”

            “I don’t care what my parents will or will not have. They will respect the grandchild whether it’s in your stomach, mine, or if we adopt.”