Chapter 5

I picked Morgan and Danielle up after school so we all could go to the recreational center. I’m suspended from school, but that means I can spend most of my day at the recreational center now. Danielle said she wanted to talk to me after school and of course she’s not going to while Morgan’s around. When we get to the recreational center we’ll talk.

            I pull up in a parking space and turn off the truck. I look at Danielle in the mirror giving her a look that I want to talk right now. I look at Morgan as she gets out of the truck. She looks back at me holding the door and stares at me weirdly. “You comin’?”

            “No, I need to talk to Danielle for a minute.” I stare at her.

            She shakes her head. “Okay.” She shuts the door and walks away. I sit there for a moment in silence with Danielle. I look at her. She smiles a little at me and crawls up into the front seat. I turn my body to the side a little and put my head on the headrest staring in her eyes.

            “What did you need to talk to me about?” I ask.

            “I’m sorry I haven’t spoken to you a lot lately. It worried me if I made a fool of myself when I tried kissing you.” She says looking away. “I don’t know what I was thinking…”

            “You didn’t make a fool of yourself. You don’t realize that I didn’t stop you. I was leaning in too.”

            She looks at me and chuckles a little. “To be honest, that would have been my first kiss.”

            I look down at the console and rub my hand over it slowly. I look back up into her eyes. “Mine too.” I admit.

            I look at her lips thinking of what could’ve been. I don’t know if I’m in love with this girl, but she’s making me want to kiss her right now. I want to know more of her. I want to know more of her personality, and maybe more by touch.

            “We should get going.”

            Man, why do you have to say that? I let out a sigh. “You’re right.” I agree and pull my keys out of the ignition. “So everything’s cool between us?” I look at her again.

            “Yes.” She smiles. I manage to make myself smile. “Cool.” I put my fist out so she can knuckle mine and she does. “Have fun in gymnastics. Don’t hurt yourself.” I say.

            “Don’t get a nose-bleed again.” She giggles and I laugh.

“Deal.”

“Are you pumped for your first competition?” Mike asks while I’m punching a punching bag.

I punch the punching bag harder. “Yeah you bet. I’m going to win too.” I say cockily.

“That’s the spirit.” He says patting me on the back. He looks over at the door. “Oh, this is one of the new boxers.” He points over at the door and I stop punching the bag looking to see who it is.

Carrie?!?!

            I punch the bag hard making it swing back and hit the pole that holds it up.

            “Easy there Tiger.” Mike says.

            I stare at Carrie. I’d like to be in a competition with her. I did apologize to her, but she makes me so mad. What she did was un-excusable.

            Carrie looks over my way and her eyes widen. I give her a smile, but a fake one. She should be my punching bag. Or my ring buddy. I walk over to her. She looks kind of scared as I get closer.