[48] Awake In A Dark Place

Villahr didn’t bother wasting words with a message and supposed it was just as well because he was quite certain that the woman wasn’t about to write it down. It was probably best that he didn't anyway because she seemed like the type to spread fallacy’s and secreted truths that were not hers to be circulating. The whole region needn't know of Karolinna’s disappearance before her own mother. Kayya would be positively livid if she knew the news had reached mortal ears first.

The woman’s tone was snarky as she held the line and onto an exceptionally long pause he Villahr wasn’t are of until she made her bad-mannered comment under her breath; obviously it had slipped her mind for a split second just who she was talking to, as Villahr heard every word. He bit back a venomous retort of his own, knowing it would be a waste of valuable time and energy starting up a battle of ignominious annotations with the girl.

“Tell her I have need to speak with her and that it is  of the utmost urgency.” Villahr dropped the phone from his ear and the call instantly disconnected before the woman had the chance to say another word. The sky was completely black now. Villahr could see it through breaks in the treetops, smudged with little white stars, looking like hundreds of squashed fireflies against a dark canvas.

He traced the top edge of his mobile with his index finger and mulled over the thoughts bouncing about his head. He picked at one with slight aggression — it featured the male that made up the other half of his parental unit. Villahr wouldn’t call Danah he decided after a few moments, in all likeliness the elna wouldn’t answer or even bother to check the messages for hours; late into the evening. So much for emergency contact. He wasn’t to blame for the work load he was saddled with, but he did choose to apply for the position on the registry knowing that it would required long nights away from his family and at the office so he wasn’t entirely virtuous in the matter either.

As Villahr pushed further into the trees, ignoring how on occasion as he moved swiftly through the close-knit collective of bars and leaves  that the twigs would jut out in front of him as if intent to scratch his face; a few actually succeeded. His hood had fallen back a bit on his head revealing a band of white-silver hair pulled back into the confines of the cloak sans the usual satiny tie. His eyes were rimmed with with a grey sort of mist of both shadow and liner and in contrast it made his brilliantly blue eyes stand out even more from the stark pallor of his face; smooth like porcelain.

Villahr wasn’t sure exactly when he had started running, but the trees whizzed past him, or, he past them would be more accurate actually. He didn’t know what he was running to either, and for all he knew it could have been just a woodland creature that sparked his attention, but there was something about the scent on the air that lead him to believe otherwise. As he moved ahead faster the scent intensified and he became very aware of what it was and that it’s carrier couldn’t have been far off.

A sudden intense pressure in the dead set of Villahr’s chest caused him to be hurtled backward, and he nearly collided with a thick birch but managed through a rather impressive twist and twirl in the air to avoid it by mere inches and land on his feet on the ground. The elna could feel something warm flowing down his arm and when he brought a hand up to the source of the excessive heat there was  a tear in the cloak and the flesh beneath it; a fresh wound leaving the leather material slick with vitality. He had missed the trunk of the tree but clearly hadn’t been so luck with the low-hanging branch of another about a foot away.

When Villahr looked up his fangs were bared, and there was the sound of snarling, though he really couldn’t be sure if it were originating from his own vocal chords or that of whatever, whoever had collided with him. His gaze was met with fury encapsulated in the almost glowing optical orbs that were currently sizing him up.