Grey work (14)

Grey work

“You have to do two things Lindsey: One round up a certain type of dark magic beings called Necromancers, you will return these beings to me. Two, you have to destroy the immortals.”

Ann quickly opens her mouth “The Necromancers won’t be easy to persuade, but we know the location of the Diamond woman. She’s the most powerful necromancer in existence. If you have her you can easily win over the rest.

“You need to tell them to go with you to death so the rest of their souls can be returned and their powers taken from them, tell them that they have no choice but to become human again because if they don’t their soul pieces will be released and they will die. The immortals will have to be killed using force; Life said she would supply you with weapons and they’re the ones that can track the immortals whereabouts.” She adds on to deaths short job briefing.

“What’s this card?” I ask shyly.

“It’s a vampire card.” Says Deaths rust voice.  

“It’s a one use item, all you have to do to activate it is to put a drop or two of blood on either side of the card and the population of vampires that ‘live’ in death will come to your aid and do your bidding. Use it wisely.” Ann says once again expanding on deaths vague points, “And some other small object you must look after with your life is this.” Ann gives me two plastic cards like library cards or something. “One is a life pass; the other is a death pass. The life pass will be necessary for your next journey and it is far easier to use. “

“The death pass will drain your spirit considerably, only use it in emergencies!” Death’s raspy voice echoes. “And you can have this to keep them safe.” He hands me a leather case with three sides sewn up and a dip in the top of one side so the cards can be removed, it’s pretty much the perfect size for the three things to fit in. There is a black rope attached to it in a loop. I put it round my neck with the cards in.

Mother puts her hands gently on my arm and smirks at me. “It’ll go nicely with my necklace.” She says slightly jokily. My heart warms. My mum’s necklace! The Damintionist symbol, a circle made of pure silver with an arrow piercing it at an angle, the tiny arrow made of gold; the fine sliver chain: the whole thing was wonderful, my mum’s good luck charm (coincidentally she wasn’t wearing it the day she died). I look up at her in awe my eyes full of childish cheer. “It’s yours now of course, the necklace.” Another amused smile touches her face, “You need it far more than I do.”  I look over at my father and he too is smiling. Ann’s face is less twisted and bitter than usual, but more in a ‘track of thought blank faced’ kind of way rather than a ‘touched by family moment’ kind of way, Deaths face is mostly shrouded in the shade of his hood but I can see some of his thin cracked lips; he’s smiling too.

Authors note: I know this is only short but thought I needed to post it. So after all this time this story has finnaly developed! A fair few chapters to go, the next one will be more explinations on Immortals and vampires and Deaths creatures XD Hope you enjoy this, please vote comment etc.