Dark times (6)

Dark times

I’m in the woods again. I can once again see the dark grey blood smeared all over my body. I notice something stuck in my nails; it’s my mother’s dark, long, rich brown hair. I look around and see a left hand (not attached to anything else) with the same rings she wears. I panic; it can’t be my mothers can it? I couldn’t have killed her. I look around; there is more than two pints of blood spilled over the mulch covered floor. The person must have died.

I run back to the house screaming.

“MUM!” I don’t care about my lack of clothing, it is clear no one is in the house. I run to the kitchen and look at the magnetic knife rack on the wall. What would it feel like to end this? I glance at my wrists and realize that pain won’t help; I don’t want to die that way. I go to my room again and put on my dressing gown. I sit on the carpet, my face and hands still covered in blood and let my thoughts of pain, misery and the dark times drift chaotically around my brain for a few hours.

*

The weekend dragged by agonisingly, I didn’t do my homework and the excuse of grief did not go down well with my teachers on Monday.

*

“Today in geography we will be learning about our blue planet or in Damintionist it is known as…” A series of hands rise in the room; The Damintionist language is used widely in schools over the country, it’s compulsory to be fluent in it before being able to work in Bakhnica. Mr Huegna points at some girl I don’t know. She rises and every one else’s hands fall.

“It’s Tarnick sir. This means marvellous thing. Tar meaning thing and nick meaning marvellous.” She rambles in an attempt to impress the teacher.

“Very good Angela but this isn’t languages. You may sit down again now. Before we get started, let’s all look back at the homework I set on specific plants in different habitats.” Everyone else gets out their sheets from book and bag and places it on their desks. “Lindsey, the homework? I presume you have managed to complete the simple task I set you."

“I’ve had a busy weekend sir.” I lie, “The police are still looking for my mother.” That was the truth; my mum was a respected part of the community unlike me.

“Death is no excuse Lindsey! You will complete the sheet at lunch.”

*

Only seven days until my sixteenth birthday. The police no longer search for my mother. They are now making a plaque for her to put up next to the grave yard:

Miranda Grey

Damintionist to the end of life,

Nothing but ash until the end of time.  

This is a very typical grave inscription for this country.  

**** ………