Eyes open (8)

Eyes open

My head is spinning, I can’t see yet but I can hear. There are three people I think, two men and a very angry woman.

“This is your fault you clumsy, stupid little boy!”

“If I do recall it were you Muriel that left the corpse unattended.” Replies a rather sly and bored sounding man.

“Stay out of this you, and why might I ask are you in the defence of him and not your own dear sister?” The woman snapped. I focus on the voices and try to open my eyes, my eyelids are far too heavy to keep them open but I can see a man sitting on a plush teal armchair in the corner. He has short brown hair and bland clothes but I couldn’t make out any fine details about his appearance. I force my eyes open again and I can see a woman with a short almost bob like hair doo the same colour as the man on the sofas. She’s standing and facing something I can barely believe. I still can’t grasp what I’m seeing, there is an unbelievably tall and pale man standing in front of me, and his head is hung with shame.  I can hear the bored man mumble disagreements and insults under his breath about the woman called Muriel.

“I do apologise for my ignorance aunt, uncle. How can I-”The third voice says nervously.

“Just go and clean up in the body room and Maxwell can help you.” The woman interjected. A sigh came from the corner of the room and then the sound of shifting fabric and the soft ‘clunk’ of shoes on the floor.  I heard the woman pacing for a few minutes and then I gave in to the eternal fatigue and let myself relax.

My head still feels horrendous, I must have fallen asleep. I needed to see what is going on. I try to open my eyes a couple of times. I now finally can see where I am precisely: there is an entire wall filled roof to floor with shelves of books to my left; there are a couple of large volumes of some rather peculiar books. I can just make out the middle shelf has a series of books called ‘The human psyche’ which has roughly, what does it say… well let’s have a rough estimate of twenty volumes, and there are about ten volumes of large books which from what I can make out are labelled ‘The ahu… The anatomy … of Hunan, Humans! And ammals?’  ‘The anatomy of humans and animals.

I am alone in the room. The teal armchair is in the right hand corner on the opposite side of the room. I try to move about and realize that my arms are tied to a thick wooden bench and so are my ankles and waist. The bench is pushed up against the back wall and seems to be in the centre of it. The door to the room is on the right wall and is very high, and so is the ceiling. There are some metallic looking tables pressed close to the wall opposite me, there are some books and scrolls sprawled across the smallest desk looking one. There are some modern looking chairs to match the tables. I hear the door creak open and then close instantly.

“Adam you klutz! She’s probably waking up you can’t just storm in there!” It’s the woman’s voice again, (Muriel).

“I’m sorry, aunty. I left some books in there and Uncle Maxwell needs the telescope in the desk draw.” I hear the second male voice say.

“Well you can bloody well get it later!” The door swings open again. The tall pale man walks away sulkily and the woman stands confidently in the doorway. She’s wearing the similar dull coloured clothes as the brown haired man, Maxwell. They don’t look like normal high street clothes. The coat she’s wearing is long and a sandy light brown, it reaches down to her knees even though it isn’t cold in here. At that thought I notice that I am no longer wearing my coat. I see my beloved grey coat hung up on one of a series of pegs on the wall above and to the left of me. She’s wearing thick black leggings and lace up knee high leather boots the same colour as the coat and a light cream, baggy and almost medieval peasant like top that hangs down past the thighs. Unlike earlier her hair is loosely tied up, due to the shortness of her hair a lot of the front had fallen out to frame her chiselled and bitter face. She smiles menacingly at me. She slowly and deliberately paces towards me so that her boots clump loudly on the wooden floor.

“Hello Lindsey.” I am stunned, who are these people and why am I here?

“How… How do you know my name?” I stammer with fear

“We know everything about you Lindsey!” She stood right in front of me now, her tall and spindly frame towering over my siting body. She rocked backwards and forwards on the balls of her feet.

“How?” I ask still terrified.

“You still think you’re a werewolf don’t you, you still think you’re a murderer!”

“Well I… Who…” She started pacing around slowly in front of me. I was lost for words. The man called Maxwell entered the room and sat down smugly, his coat and boots are a mud coloured brown rather than Muriel’s lighter ones.

“Lindsey, do you really think that Life herself would choose such an insignificant little girl like you to become such a special creature?” She stood still again in front of me. “You are a nothing. No your worse, your human. Isn’t that right Max?” She said smirking and turning to the man on the teal chair.

“Indeed Muriel.” He said with the same sly and evil smile spread on his face. I didn’t have a clue what she was talking about.

“We did everything!” She laughed wickedly. “The deaths, the strange placement of bodies, you waking up half naked in the woods; It’s not some freak genetic mishap.” My moth fell open slightly with the shock; I can’t believe the last ten minutes of my conscious life, everything has changed. I couldn’t think of anything to say. She starts walking closer to me, she unstraps my left wrist and grabs my arm tightly, she’s much stronger then she looks, in fact she feels stronger than any human I had ever encountered. “Oh…” She said smiling with false surprise in her voice. “Look at this,” she says pointing to the straight scar that was cut across the middle of my left forearm. “The Damintionist mark,” She’s clearly toying with my emotions, “Interesting thing religion, isn’t it. But it’s a great thing, a wonderful thing. It could be a good point to manipulate people.” She looks straight into my eyes; hers are cold and dark and filled with joy and anticipation. “I probably shouldn’t have told you that,” She says still smirking she drops my arm onto the wooden arm of the chair and steps away from me casually, “Because I have a mark of my own.” She holds of her left hand flipping it over so I could see the whole of what she was talking about. There is a line going all the way around her left hand, it goes over her life line and extends round the back to join at the start. It is the sign of the immortals; I’ve never seen it personally but I’ve seen pictures in religious classes when we briefly brush the concept of the Nabinan religion.

It is a rather disgusting looking thing, much worse than the pictures I’ve seen. The priests had a mark like any other cut but this was hideous.  This was like an old worn out burn, cut and bruise all in one; the mark must have taken ages to achieve and must have been there for ages as well. Her smile increases drastically at my obvious distaste.

“Are you… a Nabinan?” I ask petrified. She withdrew her hand and cackled wickedly.

“Course I am bloody not! Immortal!” She says shouting and pointing at the mark on her hand like I’m stupid, “Immortal!” She jabs at her breast bone indicating to herself.

“You’re, Immortal?”

“Oh my goodness, NOW WERE GETTING SOME WHERE! Why Maxwell!” She says turning violently to him, “Why did you want to do this, fun you said. I just can’t wait till we’ve bloody finished her off!” Maxwell sighs and shakes his head wondering over to the metal desk and flicking through some papers obviously ignoring Muriel.

Hello, I know it's taken a little while but I hope It's been worth it! This chap is a little longer than the previous ones :) Please comment, vote fan et cetea XD