Strange saviour (9)

Strange saviour

Adam walks in to the room with a roll of cloth under his right arm. His hair is basically white but it has a cream blond tint to it, his eyes are a vibrant red and his skin is whiter than paper, he must have been the ghostly figure I’d seen before I was hit with a spade. He stumbles once and recovers awkwardly, he then continues to walk humbly over to the table Maxwell is standing at and places it on its surface. He unrolls it to reveal that the cloth has a lot of pouches on the inside of it which are all filled with sharp implements. 

“Adam,” Muriel says striding over to the metal desk, “If you truly want to redeem yourself than when we get back that disgusting practice piece will be gone.” She indicates to me and picks up a particularly large knife out of a pouch and hands in to Adam. Both her and Maxwell leave the room. Adams hands are shaking. His clothes are like Maxwell’s and Muriel’s but he isn’t wearing a coat, his leggings are grey and vaguely patterned and his boots are a dirty cream colour and only reach up past his ankles. He mumbles to himself nervously and edges closer towards where I’m sitting. All of a sudden he rushes forward with the knife, there is a loud scream which I’ve only just realize had escaped from my mouth only a few seconds before.  I fear that I am dead but I look around and everything is still the same. I see Adam remove the knife from the back of the wooden seat and move it to the arm of the bench.

“What are you doing?” I ask puzzled.

“I’m letting you go. I just, I just can’t.” He says flustered and frustrated.

 I realise that he has just cut lose the leather band that had restricted my waist. He did the same to the ties on my arms and legs. I am free. He grabs my arm and leads to the side of the room with the wall full of books; he left me there and ran back to grab my coat. He thrusts it into my arms.

“You mean you can’t kill me?” He digs his finger nails into the floor boards and takes out a few of them, I can see there are some steps under the floor that lead to somewhere underground.

“Exactly…” He says continuing to clumsily remove more floor boards.

“Why not?” I’m intrigued, is there a reason why he can’t?

“I just… I don’t want to,” He grabs my arm and pushes me to the foot of the stairs. I go down obediently. “You’re a good person Lindsey, you don’t deserve to die.”

“Oh and my parents did, did they!” I snapped, I instantly regret saying it.

“I didn’t say that, and it wasn’t me that killed them!” he replies defensively. “But I am sorry that I didn’t try to stop it.”

“That’s ok. I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have snapped at you.” The space around us is getting very dark; I keep my hands on the rough concrete walls to either side of me so that I don’t get lost in the darkness. “Muriel, your aunt; she called me a practice piece, what are you practicing for?”

“Um… I don’t think I should tell you this but… It’s for the games.” He says nervously, though his footsteps seem very confident in the creepy stair way, as if he has been in here many times before.

“What sort of games?” I ask even more confused.

“Watch out the steps finish soon. The immortal games, they happen every ten years. The next one’s a fair few years away now but practice makes perfect I guess.” He says chuckling lightly at the last part. I step forward leaning into what I thought would be another steep step and almost falling over when I realize we are now on flat ground.

“What do they consist of?”

“Well, all the immortals on the planet have to compete to win a prize. The game is to manipulate a human by affecting them while they are unconscious and waiting for them to wake up. The first Immortal to have their selected human to commit suicide or murder someone is the overall winner; there are smaller cups like best reaction, most difficult human to work with, et cetera.” He says this so casually, I guess he cannot be blamed; he has been raised to think this is acceptable.

“Oh,” I say shocked, my mouth is dry and I feel a bit queasy. “So why do you need to know so much about me?

“It helps the game, the more you know about the victim then the easier it is to manipulate them, oh, and we’re about to approach some steps leading up.”

“So how do you remember so much about your ‘victims’?” I ask half curious, half terrified and yet I am slightly at ease with this strange yet kind character.

“We keep files. That and the fact immortals have a far better memory than humans.” He says casually. I stub my big toe on something hard; I reach my foot up high and edge it down until I find the first step, the steps back to the sun. 

“Oh, so do you have a file of me? What sort of things does it contain?” I want to know what sort of things they have kept about me.

“Yes, we have a file about you. And it stores everything from eye colour to favourite places and bra size, even stupid little things like your favourite pair of socks.” My head instantly hits into something. I reach my hands up to push against it, Adam helps. We push aside the thing blocking our exit.

“You know my bra size?” I ask self-consciously. The light hits my eyes like they’ve just been poked with a hot metal rod. I continue to go up the stairs until I can hear the rustle of forest mulch under my feet. “Oh my, I’d forgotten! What will your aunt and uncle do?” My eyes adjust to see the tall man still standing on the dark grey underground steps.

“What, when they don’t find a trail of blood and a body in the garden, well I certainly won’t be rewarded! Lindsey, you need to run now. You need to go home fast!”

“I don’t know where I am Adam, can you lead me home.” I ask him, I can hear the fear in my voice.

“I can’t, I need to fix my own troubles.” He starts to turn around and walk back.

“Adam!” I shout to him, he turns the top half of his body back round so he can see me. “Thank you.”

He smiles and nods to signify, ‘you’re welcome’. He walks quickly into the darkness. I slide a large square of moss covered wooden boards like a thin lid to a trap door over the top of the stairs.

I look around me, I’m in woodland but I don’t know where. I can see a large building but I’m guessing that because of the direction of the underground tunnel that the building must have been where the three immortals live. I run as fast as I can in the opposite direction to the ‘house’ I keep looking back to see that no one is coming after me. I look forward to see something odd. I try to stop myself so I can see what it is. There is a huge oval of darkness swirling in front of me. I’m still trying to halt as I skid right into it.

Hello readers :) thank you for continuing reading this tale of bizareness, I'm not very happy with this chapter but here it is. Any constructive critasism is welcome but I don't want people to slag me off for the sake of it, but if you like it and want to see more than please comment, vote and fan! xxx