Grey education (3)

Grey education

It’s Thursday and I’ve been home from church for an hour or so now.

“I can’t believe your almost sixteen, darling. I mean after this school year you’ll be in higher education! You’ll be living in BlueState! Oh I am proud of you, you know that don’t you?” My mother babbles. BlueState is one of the many Damintionist cities in the country of Bakhnica. Its soul purpose is that of education; all Damintionists go there at the age of sixteen and most leave before the age of twenty six. You get taught everything you need to know in life there (apparently).

“I know mum.” I think for a moment, “By the way, what kind human like thing goes out at night and is at its most unruly on the night of the full moon, has no memory of what it’s done during this time  and feeds on certain human organs?...”

“Well, most of what you’ve described represents something like a werewolf.”

“A what?” I ask shocked.

“Werewolf, a legendary being that turns partially into a wolf at sundown.”

“I know what one is, when I was little you told me stories about them.” She pauses for a second.

“Isn’t there a new picture at the cinema about that sort of thing?” She says. Lines of thought start to furrow on her brow. 

“Is there? What’s it called?” I ask. I need to know what is happening to me.

“Um… Moon curse, Night battle, or something like that. I really have no idea, I prefer comedy theatre myself.” I smile at her excitedly.

“I’d like to watch that, thank you mother.” She smiles back at me, she swoops her long hazelnut brown hair behind her ear.

“I can pay if you like? Maybe you could take some friend with you.”

“No that’s fine, I’ll be fine. Can, can I go now?”

“Of course you can.” Her smile broadens. She picks up her book and continues reading. I go to my room and get my grey coat and black backpack; I put my notebook, pencil case and reading glasses into the bag and put it on my back.

The cinema is not that crowded, but I still have a couple to the left of me. She cowers up to him holding firmly on to his arm and snuggling into his chest. I can’t help giving them a few disgusted looks; and they give a few to me, well I am writing notes about ‘so called’ imaginary creatures in the middle of a movie theatre. The white, black and grey colours from the screen reverberate on the lined paper so I can just about see my writing and scribble like drawings of a very basic (well stick) man covered in fur. Although we do have coloured televisions these days, the cinema screens are still back and white. I take my glasses off; I think I have enough notes now. I watch as the half wolf half man’s teeth cut into his normal human friends back. Blood spills everywhere; if it was real then the blood would be a rich, vile red but on the large screen it looks a dark, oozing grey colour.