CHAPTER 8 - part 1 - MEETING IN THE AISLE

MEETING IN THE AISLE

Megha had a pleasant time after her apology to the gardener – no, Mohan. Her meeting with Rajeev's family went better than she expected. They were a modern sort, and hence, didn't want her to pose for them all prim and proper. The talk with Rajeev made it clear to her that there were no reasons to reject him. Their tastes varied much, but she was sure she could adjust – she was not a demanding person. And the family didn't put any pressure on either of them: they suggested the engagement after a couple of months, when both have had the opportunity to know each other completely. And that made her all the more cheerful.

She finished her paper correction soon and enjoyed several outings with her family. Rajeev too came for a couple of them, but he was mostly busy. Rajeev's mother was quite an enthusiastic woman and the Vyas family took an instant liking to her. She often accompanied them and Megha too, couldn't help liking her. Vidya was the happiest one: she was relieved that Megha would be getting such a mother-in-law.

The usual summer thundershowers, better known as mango showers, had begun. With no scope of an outing, one rainy afternoon, Megha decided to start preparing notes for the next semester and hence, paid a visit to the campus library to acquire the necessary books.

And it was there Megha found Mohan. He was sitting on a window sill reading something with his back to her.

May be he is reading about gardening. That will explain the improvement in his work. Megha thought.

 He had taken personal interest in restoring her garden to its earlier glory. The new rose plants have flourished well in his care and the buds were developing fast.

He was so immersed in reading that he didn't notice her standing next to him. He was wearing casual jeans and T shirt instead of his usual green uniform and Megha thought he looked more like a student than a worker. She was amused by the calm, relaxed look on his face and she looked over his shoulder to see which book had hooked him up so much. On seeing the name of an Enid Blyton series printed across the top right of page, she was totally surprised.

"You read children's literature?" she couldn't help asking.

              **********************************

Mohan was startled by the question and the book fell from his hands. He got up, looked at her in surprise for a second and then bend down to retrieve the book. Unfortunately, Megha too bent down the same instant and their foreheads collided rather painfully.

"Ouch!" both of them exclaimed.

They sat back on the pristine white marbled floor and rubbed their foreheads. Mohan stared at her at a loss of words – he was a bit miffed at her for scaring the life out of him by speaking next to his ear when he was enjoying the story so much, but was afraid whether she would categorize it as another one of his disasters. Megha too stared back at him, but soon offered a tentative smile. Mohan felt his confusions dissolving in Megha's smile and smiled back. Both of them reached for the fallen book the same time and caught the book on either side. Mohan looked at Megha again and found her staring back. Suddenly, she burst into an amused chuckle and relinquished her hold on the book. Mohan was so relieved that she wasn't going to shout at him that a relaxed and amused chuckle escaped his lips also.

"It seems that I'm the one causing disasters nowadays – not you. Sorry for startling you like that." Megha said.

Mohan thanked God inwardly for finally putting him on her good side – he very much preferred her friendly smile to her disapproving scowl.

"It's alright, Ma'am." He said.

Taking the book from her hands, Mohan leaned back against a heavy shelf. Megha too settled down and leaned back against the opposite shelf in that alcove. The marble floor was cool and neat. No footfall could be heard nearby – either since no shoes were allowed inside or because majority of the students were enjoying their vacation at their homes. She felt comfortable in Mohan's company, in the quiet library, where the only sound was that of the rain outside. Megha forgot everything about her purpose and began questioning Mohan again:

"So, you read children's literature?"

"Not much. It's just that these used to be my first favourites when I was in school. And seeing them here, I couldn't help browsing them once, out of nostalgia." He replied.

"My school library had it too. Where did you study?" Megha was curious.

"Springdale at Cochin." Mohan said impulsively. At Megha's surprised look, Mohan realized his mistake.

"No-I mean, I couldn't continue studying there, it being a private school with a hefty fees and all. I studied there only till primary." He improvised.

"Oh, okay..." Megha said, still not convinced.

"You came to read?" Mohan quickly asked. After the words left his lips he realized how stupid it sounded. 

Why else would someone come to the library, idiot?  His inner voice asked.

"Well, not exactly. And that reminds me I should start my work." Megha replied and got up. He followed.

"I'm searching for books to make notes for next semester. Have to finish it before vacation gets over. See you around." Megha bade farewell, graced him with a small smile and walked away.

"Sure." Mohan replied when she reached an out of hearing range, not aware of the disappointment that crept into his voice.

                          **********************