Chapter 5

I sighed in boredom as I slumped down in science class. The days were different when I wasn’t sent to Dominic’s office. He sort of spiced up school. I took out my phone and unlocked it to see the time and groaned when I realized I still had a half hour left in here.

I put my head on the desk and thought about my movie night with Orlando tonight. He’d convinced me to watch horror last time, so now he had to deal with my choices. I was deciding between the Hangover Part 3 and The Campaign. I hadn’t seen either, but you can’t go wrong with Zach Galifanakis or Will Farrell.

I thought about inviting Fey, but remembered her brother was coming home from Afghanistan today. I loved Emory like my big brother. When he was about to leave for duty, he came to my house and we just sat on my couch in silence enjoying each other’s company. I ran my fingers through his hair as he laid his head in my lap. People always thought we were a couple, but I wouldn’t date him and he wouldn’t date me.

Worked out perfectly.

The bell rang and I gathered my stuff getting ready to leave to pick up Orlando. I didn’t have to go into work today, so I wanted to spend all my time with my little baby brother. I passed by Dominic’s office and paused before back pedaling and opening the door.

He was on the phone and put a finger up to tell me to wait. I sat down in my normal chair and draped my legs over the side and began to swing them. He looked at me amusedly, but didn’t pause in giving instructions to whoever was on the phone. He said goodbye, then looked at me expectantly.

“What’s up, Aves?”

“Wanna join me and Orlando for movie night tonight?” Dr. Romano sat back in his chair and looked at me weirdly.

“Your parents wouldn’t mind?” I felt more comfortable around him now than I had before in hospital, so I didn’t mind telling the truth.

“We live alone. Come on, don’t be a party pooper, come through!” He chuckled.

“Alright. Do I have to bring anything?” I batted my eye lashed sweetly at him and smiled.

“Some Rocky Road Ice cream would be great.” He smiled and rolled his eyes.

“Alright, give me your address and leave me alone.” I could tell he was obviously kidding, but I gave him my address then went behind his chair and hugged his neck.

“See you later, best friend. I’ll miss you until 6 tonight.” He playfully pulled my arms off and laughed.

“I thought Fey was your best friend.” I waved him off.

“You’re a guy. You’re different.” He shook his head at me and I grabbed my bookbag and left his office skipping like an idiot. I mean the hallways were empty and I had a lot of pent up energy. Dominic was coming to my house tonight.

Maybe I could convince him to stay.