Chapter 2

I groaned and rolled over on my uncomfortable bed and realized something was restricting me. I just wanted to sleep, but I was annoyed with the restriction on my bed. I opened my eyes a little and noticed the IV running through my arm. I shot up in the bed and that’s when I realized, I was in a hospital.

“Avery, you gave me quite a scare at school.” Dr. Romano was leaning back in the hospital chair with his arms crossed over his broad chest. I sighed in annoyance at his insistence to call me by my last name, but then wondered why he was here anyway. I thought back and sighed embarrassed as I realized that I’d fainted right into his arms. I rubbed my arms as the goose bumps spread across them from this ridiculously cold room.

I guess Dr. Romano noticed because he took off his suit jacket and handed it to me. I was a little hesitant, but I wouldn’t give up this opportunity to be engulfed in whatever lovely cologne he used. “What time is it?” He glanced down at his Rolex, which I was quite jealous of, and then crossed his arms back.

“3:12 pm.” I jumped up and tried to take the IVs out of my arm. I couldn’t leave Orlando waiting. I was already late and the time it would take to get out of the hospital would make me even later. “Whoa, what’s the problem?” He had already jumped up and was gently pushing me back on to the bed.

“I got to pick up my little brother. Orlando will be waiting and I ha-” I was shocked when he covered my mouth with his hand.

“Lafayette called your phone and told me that she would pick your little brother up and bring him here. You can leave later, but you have to take it easy for the next 48 hours and drink lots of fluids.”

I laid back down and closed my eyes, silently thanking Fey for picking him up for me. “Wait, why did you answer my phone?” Surprisingly, my overly serious principal smirked at me and winked.

“I’m the principal, I can do whatever I want.” I rolled my eyes at him and he chuckled and sat back in the chair. “So, you don’t have to answer if you don’t want, but why do you have no emergency contacts other than Lafayette?”

I tensed with my eyes still closed and slowly opened my eyes to face the inquisitive man. “I’m going to have to take a rain check on that question. I don’t really want to discuss that.” He nodded in acceptance and started to push against the bed and tip his chair back like a little kid.

Where had the serious man with a PhD gone? In his place was a 5 year old kid in a glorious body. “I’ll laugh if you fall.” He fake glared at me and continued to tip his chair back.

“I’ll give you a detention if I see you laugh.” I gaped at him and pouted. Lord have mercy, I was flirting with this man. I couldn’t help that Black Orchid wanted to come out at any chance she got.

“That’s not right, Dr. Romano. I should report you for lying.” He pouted back and I grinned.

“Yeah whatever, snitch.” I opened my mouth to retort, but the door flew open and Orlando rushed to my side.

“Lotty! Are you okay? Fey wouldn’t tell me why you were in the hospital? Are you sick? Did you hurt yourself?” I chuckled at his concern and felt flattered he cared so much, even if he was my little brother. I patted the bed next to me and he wasted no time in jumping on and snuggling under my open arms.