Epilogue-Keeping Hope.

Ashlynn’s P.O.V.

I hated funerals.

I mean, I hadn’t been to many. There was one for Hope, but I was too young to remember it, especially as it had been just after my visit to Dr. Jenkins. It had been on a minimal scale, too; all I really remember is my Mother crying, and that man comforting her.

I refused to call him my father, now. The man I had once looked up to, was now nothing to me. I had been so angry at first, and sometimes it still flared up. Mostly though, I was just satisfied that he was getting what he deserved.

Marcus McKinnon and Frederick Carter had been serving time for a little over two months, now. Their full sentence had yet to be decided, but one thing was for sure; it would be a long, long time until they got back their freedom, if ever.

As for Blake, the man who raped me upon order of Marcus, he was still on the run. My attorney had promised that once they found him, he’d go down for what he did.

I was glad justice was being served but at the same time, I almost pitied him. Perhaps he hadn’t wanted to do it. Perhaps he’d been forced. Then again, if you have correct morals, you would not allow anyone to force you into anything, however powerful or persuasive they may be.

Apparently, the judge would take this into account. He’d be punished, but not to the extent of the other men, who were looking at a minimum of ten years a piece.

Good riddance, in my opinion.

I sighed, glancing out at the sight before me. The bitterness of winter had gone, giving way to the freshness of late summer. The graveyard was deserted--or at least, this part of it was.

Yes, I had come to see her. I was ending this where it all began, almost a year ago now. It was August; in two months, it would have been a year since I was raped, and my life changed forever. Today would be closure, a time to grieve...and not just for Sadie.

As I took a seat on the fresh grass next to Hope’s grave stone, I sighed. There were so many signs of life, around me. Bees buzzing, collecting as much nectar as possible from freshly bloomed flowers, of every colour imagineable.

It was a scorching hot day, not dissimilar to the day that Hope had died.

It was funny, how I could say or think that so effortlessly now. I knew what the difference was, now; I had finally accepted it.

I fiddled with my black cardigan, wishing I was wearing something else. It was fairly light, but the colour attracted heat like crazy. Then again, this was a funeral.

“They’re going to be starting soon,” murmured a voice behind me.

I turned around, looking up at the boy--or man--in front of me. As normal, I couldn’t help but smile.

A strong hand was swiftly in mine, pulling me to my feet. I leant up, pecking his lips with a sigh. “Where’s Hope?” I asked, clearly anxious as ever.

“Dylan’s got her. Don’t worry, love. She’s fine.” I grinned as Cory wrapped an arm around me, beginning to walk with me to the church.

No, we hadn’t gone completely bonkers. Hope Sadie Carter--or McKinnon, if I ever got my way--was born on June 29th 2012, a beautiful and healthy baby.

It had been tough, but I’d made it through, with the help of the boys and surprisingly, my Mother.

Our relationship was being built up again...slowly. She was as shocked as I at what Frederick had done, but we were getting there.