Part 9: Riley

I hear a noise.
More like something falling. I then hear footsteps beginning to run.
My eyes flutter open.
Something woke me up.
I look around. All I see is some of my stuff on the ground. Then I notice a running person almost at the end of the street. I can tell she's a girl. I blink my eyes, and the girl has gotten nearer to the corner with her blonde hair flying behind her.
Wait...did I see blonde hair?
"Hey!" I call, but she doesn't look back. Then she disappears around the corner.
I stand up from the bench and start to run, but I know that I would never be able to catch up to her. Maya was always so much faster than me.
I round the corner. She's gone.
I sigh.
I grumpily walk back to the bench and sit down. I know it was Maya. I have a very strong feeling about it. Just in case, I grab my stuff from the ground and check that everything's complete.
Somethings missing. I dig around a bit more but I can't find it. My phone. Why would Maya take my phone? I decide to ask to review the CCTV in the convenience store tomorrow when it opens, to make sure it's Maya.
I check for anything else missing. Strangely, everything else is here, including my wallet. Everything inside my wallet is still there. The only thing taken was my phone.
I start to cry. I pick up my wallet and turn it over intending to look at the picture I out there of me and Maya. It reminds me of our happy times together. This one was taken on her birthday last year. I wrote a note at the back since I was planning to give it to Maya, but she ran before I was able to.
But I look at it. There is now an empty space in my wallet where the picture once was.
I don't need a video tape or a recording to prove that girl was Maya. The picture is missing. Enough proof.
"Oh Maya, where the hell are you?" I say to myself, looking at the corner where my best friend had disappeared just a few minutes ago.