Part 8: Maya

I'm walking back to the place I've been staying. I had just been walking around the city the whole day, the past week actually. Now in these 8 weeks I've been gone I've been able to actually do many things I've been wanting to do. I've explored many parts of the city, gone to some art galleries. Everything has helped clear my mind.
Almost everything is crossed out.
Once in a while I pass Abigail Adams High School, but I just walk past. I'm not ready to go back. Yet.
A block later I find myself passing by the street of the convenience store I bought my SIM card from two weeks ago. It's getting late and all I had for dinner was a hotdog. I decide to go in and buy myself a drink.
I start walking but stop when I see the bench I sat on that day.
There's a girl on it. She's clearly asleep. And she sort of looks just like... No. It can't be.
But as I walk closer, I see her face.
It's Riley.
As in, Riley Matthews, my best friend.
I start to smile. I haven't seen her in 8 weeks! But then I realize...wait.
Why is she here? How did she get so far out here? Is she alone?
Then another realization.
I left. I left her. She must have felt so alone. I don't know how I would have survived without Riley. I know she couldn't imagine life without me. But I left her...
I know what's coming next.
That thought I've been thinking...
Although I didn't think it would happen...
But...
She's...me.
She's turned into me.
She was able to pull me back, but I don't even know if I can do the same for her.