Chapter Thirty Four

For the next two weeks Adrienne would care for me as if I was her own child healing from a broken heart. Every morning I would awake to a glass of orange juice with my pre natal vitamin placed next to it. Every night a delicious meal which always included a vegetable. She accompanied me to my birthing classes, teaching me how to properly change and burp a plastic baby doll. I refused all of Billies phone calls and failed attempts at showing up at Adrienne's door to speak with me. She would grab a broom from the hall closet and chase him off the front porch, while I stood diligently behind her with my arms crossed.

"Adrienne!" I waddled into the kitchen with a huge smile on my face. "What's up doll?" She pulled a batch of cookies from the oven. I held up a giant manilla folder and watched her jaw drop. "Is that what I think it is?" She shrieked. "Yes!" I screamed back, now holding up a thick piece of paper I began to read. "This certificate congratulates Aria Lilian Morgan on the completion of a Bachelors Degree in Journalism." She pulled me into a hug. "God Aria, you should be so proud of yourself." She whispered.

"What's going on?" Joey laughed as he interrupted our moment. Adrienne threw a camera at him. "Here take a picture of us! Over here!" She pointed to the fireplace. We stood side by side. I held my new diploma with my right hand, my left placed gently on my belly. Adrienne placed her arm around my shoulder and squeezed me in close. Our smiles beamed long after the camera flashed. I was happy. We were happy.

That night I lie peacefully in my bed, staring up at the ceiling. 'How did it ever come to this?' I asked myself. A knock on the door pulled me away. "You asleep?" Joey asked poking his head in. I laughed "no I'm up, you okay?" I asked him as he sat down on the bed next to me. "Yeah I just.. I have something for you." He scratched his head and held up a pink bag with white polka dots, a silver bow placed neatly at the top. "Open it." He placed it on my lap. I dug through the decorative paper until I reached a little white onesie with the words 'little sister' in sparkly black letters across the front. "Joey-" he cut me off "wait.. There's more." He pointed towards the bag and once again I dug through it. A second outfit at the bottom 'if you think I'm cute you should see my aunt' in multi colored cursive letters. "Zoe." I whispered before falling into his arms. I cried myself to sleep.

The next morning I awoke to a note on my nightstand.

Aria,

If you're reading this Adrienne changed her mind. I will get down on my knees and beg. I tend to fuck up a lot but I don't want to lose you. Give me another chance, if not for yourself then for our daughter.

Love always,

Former Stray Heart.

I picked up my phone and called Billie.

__________________________

Alright guys I need opinions. Should I publish the very last chapter today!? I got a little ahead of myself and already finished it. Let me know!