Cinderella's Tears ~ Chapter 16

Dylan's P.O.V. (haha i forgot to add it in but you guys can tell its in position of view? RIGHT?) 

"Suspect of murder, Diane Flay."

The old judge had announced it as soon everyone settled down.

Diane entered the court room. Her hands were tied in front of her and she was held by guards. I checked her out head to toe. Diane had bruises and cuts all over her body. It was hard to believe that just yesterday; she was the beautiful goddess that drove the girls crazy in envy.

Her hair and clothes were wet. The tumbling, dark mess of hair that was uncared for laid resting down her back. Her dress was torn from all sides and she was not wearing any shoes. I could clearly see the mark on her ankle which she didn’t even try to hide. The horrifying, jagged line ran down her ankle. I stared in disgust at her face. Her face was pale and unmarked.  Her features were pretty but it was her expression that made me sick inside. Her eyes were half closed in a way that made her look as if she was mocking everyone. It made me angry. Even though she had no other expression, I had a feeling as if she was smiling inside slyly. She was accused of murder, for god’s sake! She should be afraid, confused, pleading for mercy and that it wasn’t her. Nothing. Nothing at all. She just stood there. There was something strange and different about her. There was a different feeling around her.

“WE DISOWN HER!” A voice shrieked clearly across the court. Diane’s “mother’, I guessed... Everyone gapped at the furious blonde woman who sat with a professional looking man, Lisa and the Clown-Zoey. Everyone that is, except for Diane. She still had a sheepish look, as if she was expecting this. Diane leaned forward and in a low, husky voice, she spoke:

“Diane Savye.”

No one spoke a word. Everyone looked at each other, bewildered. On my left, sat the duke and duchess, my parents who had to be here, due to the fact that someone was killed during their ball. On my right, the king and queen sat stone-faced. They had came the other night and were here for the man who was next in line for the throne was killed.

Finally, the judge broke the silence. “Diane, you were found laying on the lakeshore only a few feet from the dead body of Stefan Theran.” Diane didn’t say anything so the judge continued. I balled up my hands into fists. “He had a terrible blow to the dead and there was a lot of blood seeping through the wound, dyeing the lake red.” I clenched my fist. Still Diane said nothing. “Did you kill Stefan?”

“Yes.” Her voice was low and strange.

I stood up and I banged my fist against the balcony railing. We, the royal family, sat in a reserved place away from the crowd. Everyone gasped.

My brain hurt. I lost all senses and I returned to the past. It was all blurry but I heard the sound of Diane laughing and talking to me. It seemed so far away. The music was fast and far from me. Diane spun me around and I got dizzy. Then I saw Stefan. He was smiling at me and talking to Diane, but the picture was strange. Diane seemed strange and she was hiding behind me. Did they know each other? That didn’t happen, did it? Was I just blind? What have I been missing? I felt so left out.

“Jail,” the judged declared.

I snapped back to reality and looked around.

What? No. Wait. What was going on? Jail?

The jury erupted into shouts.

“Hang her!”

“Burn her at stake!”

“Torture!”

“Punishment!”

No. This is going to fast. I have so much to ask. Why? How?

But I kept my lips sealed. There was something wrong about all this. Something was wrong. I scanned my eyes over the crowd. I felt betrayed and sick. I wanted to hit Diane. I trusted her. But I felt like it was my fault. I after all, introduced her to Stefan.

“15 years,” The judge yelled.

“Outrageous! MORE! MORE! MORE!” the crowd yelled. Diane kept quiet. Also Lisa sat there not saying a word. She had her head bent low, in shame. Or maybe sympathy or sadness. I shall never know.

The judge frowned. He didn’t seem to want to send Diane to execution or for a life time in prison.

“Wait,” her voice was just a whisper but the room became silent. “Hear me out.”

She looked the judge in the eyes, with confidence. The king smiled in approval but stopped when he realized where he was.

“Self defense,” Diane said clearly, “He attacked me, it was all an accident.

The judge nodded. He seemed to be listening but I don’t think he will take her pleas into consideration.

I was shocked. Stefan? Attack Diane?! It didn’t seem possible. I’ve known Stefan for a long time and he was very close to me. He would never hurt anyone. Besides he knew I liked Diane. I wanted to object but I was a Prince, I had to control my emotions.

I was furious. I glared at Diane, wanted her to look at me and feel my fury. I hope you ask for forgiveness so I can laugh in your face and reject you. Just like the way you did to me.

I still can’t believe Diane killed Stefan. I would never accept it and I will never forgive her.

My anger cooled down and I got sad again. He was gone, it’s over. I still believed that Stefan was innocent. I looked both at my aunt and uncle. Both didn’t seem the slightest surprised. The same was with my parents.

His highness stood up. The crowd switched their attention toward him but he kept his eyes fixed on Diane. She stood frozen, not looking in my direction.

The king cleared his throat, “I, for one, believe the girl but she cannot go without punishment.” The crowd murmured in agreement. “She will be sold.”

That got her attention. Diane’s head snapped up and she turned to find the source of the voice that sealed her life for the next three years. When she set her eyes on the king, she set a death glare at him. Her crazy hair shook in fury.

“Three years. She will be kept in jail until she is bought. She then can be used as a maid, servant or anything you would like until the three year mark is over. May tomorrow be the first year of her three year trial.”

“Agreed,” the judge declared and he left the courtroom. My parents and my royal relatives also left the court to join in a room to simply chat. I though didn’t leave until the guards completely dragged Diane away. I then stood up and slowly left to rejoin with my dear, dear family. Oh Yes, we shall certainly Chat.