Cinderella's Tears ~ Chapter 11

This is a short chapter in Dylan's P.O.V.

X.X

The day was absolutely boring. I was pampered and prepared like meat for the ball. The servants didn’t even seem to care about my feelings and ignored my protests. This is ridiculous. 

Even my parents weren't too enthusiastic about these three balls. It was organized by the Queen who had favored me and wants to pick a spouse for me. She was making sure that the next Queen would be a brilliant girl, which is impossible to find, especially this way. All the girls were so fake and only cared about money.

Only Diane treated me differently, then again how would she act if she knew who I was? I didn't really want her to know, so I kept it a secret from her. That is part of the reason why I was so against her coming to the ball. I mean she doesn't know what guys to look out for and stay away from.

Anyway, I didn't know why the Queen was so forceful about this all. It is possible that I wouldn't be king so there isn't anything to fuss over. There was still a possibility that I wouldn’t become the next king. I was now fifth in line for the crown. The two that are in the closest were sent to prison after trying to assassinate the kings. The three that are now in the beginning on the line are trying to kill each other so there is a chance that neither of them will become king. The one that is the most in favor of being the king is Sebastian.  We are on very good terms. Unless he doesn’t want to be king, then I’d be king.

The ball was a pain itself.  As predicted all the girls crowded me, disabling me to breathe.  They looked like clowns with so much makeup. It was suppose to be a casual a ball but people dressed very fancy.

Suddenly, I spotted Diane enter the garden. She was late and looked; well there weren’t any words to describe it. I suppose she looked more horrifying than anyone else in this place.  She had the most hideous dress on, not to mention that was the wrong kind of dress to have at these types of parties. Her eyes were coated in an ugly dark, green colored and her hair was at the very least tamed but about to break loose under her hair band. Diane didn’t seem to like the girl to care about dances, dresses, makeup and girly stuff.

I chuckled. She must be making fun of the girls here. She did a perfect impression on every girl here.

Diane got closer but didn’t seem to notice me. I gently pushed some girls out the way and came to Diane. She didn’t even bat an eyelash when she saw me. A cold feeling passed through me. Could she have already known? She was staring at me with cold eyes.

I smirked at her. She bowed down low to me as a sign of respect to royal a little too low for my liking, but once a saw her face, I understood. She was angry at me and was being sarcastic. I returned the bow and offered to dance.

When Diane didn’t accept right away, I looked at her with a look that made her change her mind.

Every few seconds, she would look around nervously. Her lips quivered but her eyes stayed cold and dark.

I remembered how she acted only a few days before. I brought her closer and hissed in her ear.

"I thought I told you not to come."

"I was never good at listening," She replied smartly.

"Yeah obviously."

"I apologize."

Angrily I snapped at her, "Quit the act."

Her eyes softened. She didn't want to show it but I could see her and how sad she is. I pulled her close. I couldn't let anyone else see her face.

I chuckled softly when I remembered how her face looks like. 

"You look beautiful," I told her sarcastically. 

Diane looked up quickly. Her face was lit up like a child on its birthday.

“Really?”

I was a little shocked that she reacted this way. I was so sure she would laugh at this. She was serious.

“Yeah,” I said softly, but the truth is I felt horrible. I had lied to her. Impossible, she would never do this.

“You’re not serious,” I softly told myself.

More confidently, “You can’t be serious.” I took her shoulders and stopped dancing. Diane stared at me strangely.

“What do you mean?” She asked.

Around us, people started cracking up. Diane looked around frantically. She looked at me with huge, sad eyes. At first, I would have apologized but she was wearing the hideous makeup and that made her look ridiculous. I

“What’s going on?” she asked. Now her voice was shaking. I couldn’t help it. I laughed my head off. She was just so cute.

Around us people, shouted rude names at Diane, but I couldn’t stop laughing. She was turning around. She looked sick now. I calmed down when I realized what was going on.

“You said I was beautiful.” Diane looked at me like I was going to kill her. I could see fear in her eyes.

I chuckled. Why was she so scared?

“I wasn’t serious” I explained.

Her eyes got even wider, which made me laugh again.

After a few seconds, I heard everyone quieting down. I look up with a smile. Diane was staring at me. my smile dropped. She looked angry. My heart dropped. She was going to kill me, I thought. I couldn’t put it in words. Her face scared me. I couldn’t do anything. I was frozen in one spot.

Before I could do anything, Diane lifted her skirt up and ran out of the room. It might have been my imagination, but I couldn’t help but notice a long jagged cut on her ankle. I’m not sure if anyone else noticed but it was really hard not to notice. Seeing that, made me sick in the stomach. I hope I was just imagining things.

The place roared with chatter and laughter once again. Girls crowded me while I was still recovering from shock. One girl hugged my arm tightly. I turned to look at her. I feel like I have seen her somewhere.

Then It dawned to me. Diane, she was Diane’s sister. The ones, who were always rude to her.

Whoever she was, she smiled at me with her weird gold lips. Slowly she batted her long eyelashes. Disgusted, I shook her off and ran away. I followed the path where, I believe, Diane went.

I found her huddled up on the side of the road. I’m sure she was bawling her eyes out now. Quietly, I came near her, ready to give her any comfort she needed. Instead Diane looked up. She looked furious. Not a trace of tears on her face.

She slowly stood up and walked away.

I ran up to her and reached out to grab her shoulder. Her hand shot out and stopped me. she shot me a death glare and continued on her way, leaving me there, speechless.

Of course I had to return to party. No one seemed concern that I had left. Those who did show concern, were obviously acting. I faked it and told them everything was ok. The rest of the night I was the polite and gentle Prince. Yet, whenever a girl smiled at me, I felt sick inside.

Finally the long night ended. All the guests left and I retired to my room. Without taking my clothes, I plopped on to my bed.

My room was very luxurious and modern. It was huge, too big for one person. I hated staying here because I felt lonely.

I tried to sleep but Diane kept intruding into my dreams. I couldn’t get her sad face out of my head. Her face was no longer funny.

I deeply regretted my actions but I knew it was no use. She wouldn’t want to do anything with me. My chest felt tight just at the thought of her rejecting my presence.

I would do whatever it took to have her with me again. That was my last thought before I fell asleep.

That turned out worse than I thought. Anyway chapter 12 might not come out in a while because I want to introduce I new book. I hope you don’t mind.